HOW TO FIX VC RESOLUTE DOORS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmanchester

Oct 29, 2011
RI
i recently removedthe doors from my resolute III to regasket them....including the glass panels. each door has two retaining tabs and a 10/24 screw for the glass. one screw hole in each door is ng, one seemingly is reamed out with no apparent threads, the other broke and i had to drill. question being. how do i fix being that the holes arent deep enough to tap the threads. thanks for the help

J

Idealy you would drill the holes out to the tap diameter of the next largest set screw size. A visit to the hardware store should reveal the next size up set screw, the appropiate tap and the correct tap drill. If the hole is blind or shallow you may need to grind the end square off the tap, creating a bottoming tap, AFTER you start the new threads.

The next option would be a heli-coil, might be even more difficult.

Possibly the best choice would be to have a new tab welded (not brazed) on.

If you get totaly FUBAR, PM me. I am down on the cape and restore antique stoves as a hobby. I have a full machine/welding shop.

Any chance one of you guys could tell me how to install glass in my Resolute 1 door? I have the 2 glass pieces, several sizes of gasket (from Cozy Cabin in NY) the glass frame, and four glass clips. But I don't know how the glass, the frame and the clips go together. Are the clips held in place by the same bolts that hold the frame? Where do they go with respect to the glass and the frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.