How to get a handprint off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Sep 22, 2014
One of my little ones put there hand on the glass and got a little burn. I feel awful I have a huge hearth gate with a automatic close I know it's my fault I must of not closed it all the way. I'm feeling pretty terrible about it. It left her hand print I wiped it down and it looks like it's gone but when it's wet and about to dry you can still see it. Just seeing if there's away to clean it off or is it permant? I turned off the stove immediately and haven't turned it on since. Thanks for your input. Also, if your wondering the littles ones hand is just red with a small blister she was ready to run around and was back to herself in no time.

Try using ceramic stove top cleaner. Does a good job of polishing.
Hopefully the youngun will remember that stoves are hot and the blister will soon be gone.

Rutlands?
Rutlunds is for cleaning glass of creosote etc.
Ceramic stove top cleaner can be had at most grocery stores etc and is for cleaning flat top stoves. Contains calcium carbonate-marble dust as the abrasive.
Could call the dealer and see if they can or have a better idea.

Thanks again for the advice I have a feeling they will tell me it's there forever. They said when I got it don't put any hand prints on it and fire it up because then there forever because of the oil in our skin but I didn't know if this was a different scenero

If all else fails find a glass shop and bring in the door. They should be able to buff out the prints.
The glass is really ceramic.

Foaming oven cleaner moves any thing without abrasion. Make sure it is the smelly one, not the eco friendly fresh smelling useless stuff.
Sodium Hydroxide should take any any organic matter off.

When I told my mom she said the same thing to leave it as a reminder. I'm gonna run to the store and pick up those two things and see what I can do if not it is what it is I'm surprised it wouldn't just bake off eventually.

Yeah the can says Sodium Hydroxide 54g/kg and Diethylene Glycol Alkyl Ester 55g/kg.
Sounds pretty tasty whatever it is. Our brand is "Easy Off". The branding is so lairy I reckon it must have come from the states. 3 bucks a can, best glass cleaner I have found.
Better life through chemistry. Walmarts brand of oven cleaner is good too. Just don't get any of the stuff on the stoves black body as it will strip it.

Just got off the phone with the dealer there saying is permenant no matter what because of the oils in the skin and I would have to replace it if I want it gone.... It kinda sounds extreme

When I told my mom she said the same thing to leave it as a reminder. I'm gonna run to the store and pick up those two things and see what I can do if not it is what it is I'm surprised it wouldn't just bake off eventually.

Leave it as a reminder to yourself?? I'm pretty sure you'll remember it happening. I'm also thinking the little one now knows what "hot/no touch/owie" means.

Reactions: SESZOO
Just got off the phone with the dealer there saying is permenant no matter what because of the oils in the skin and I would have to replace it if I want it gone.... It kinda sounds extreme

Would the ash and sheet of wet newspaper trick for cleaning the inner glass perhaps work on the outside?

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? They've worked on a few problem things I've tried.

Easy Off oven cleaner will probably do it. We use it at work to get fuel oil off of the boiler peepholes.

Dave

Leave it as a reminder to yourself?? I'm pretty sure you'll remember it happening. I'm also thinking the little one now knows what "hot/no touch/owie" means.
Yeah I said I'd rather not have to look at my poor daughters hand mark to remind of what happened Ill never forget period.

I think you are very lucky - on my stove the glass goes right up >500degF and I presume would take fingerprints clean off...

Good luck and if it doesn't come off I'm sure the print will fade with time.

Best,
- Jeff

I'm very lucky that my little one has a little burn and its on her hand. Im counting my lucky stars she is unscathed for the most part.

Baking soda and water into a dryish paste. I use it on the glass stove top. Works wonders use it with a sponge. It will remove anything and not scratch the glass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.