How to get a handprint off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it matters if I fire it up in the mean time
I would not. The heat may allow the oils to go further in as the ceramic expands

If your unable to remove the hand print would oiling the rest of the glass to blend it in be an option? Wouldn't know what oil to use but it might be a last resort.

May not be the oils from skin but something else. I have a stainless rifle that I managed to rust the thumb safety.

May not be the oils from skin but something else. I have a stainless rifle that I managed to rust the thumb safety.

Sure the action isn't steel?

So small update didn't have time to get the easy off and hit another bump my husband turned the stove on without realizing I was trying to keep it off. We we'll see what happens now. Thanks for all the advice. The dealer said I probilty shouldn't of used the rutlands on the outside too it will scratch the mirror part so great I feel like I'm making the situation worse with every step. I can tell you after this I'm not a fan of the mirror glass its not the best or most practical if it was just plain ceramic it would of baked off. It wouldn't of scratched that easy and I could of just taken a razor to it without damaging the finish.

I think your dealer is just trying to make a sale on replacement parts so he can make some nice margin.

So small update didn't have time to get the easy off and hit another bump my husband turned the stove on without realizing I was trying to keep it off. We we'll see what happens now. Thanks for all the advice. The dealer said I probilty shouldn't of used the rutlands on the outside too it will scratch the mirror part so great I feel like I'm making the situation worse with every step. I can tell you after this I'm not a fan of the mirror glass its not the best or most practical if it was just plain ceramic it would of baked off. It wouldn't of scratched that easy and I could of just taken a razor to it without damaging the finish.
don't worry about taking the mirror off, it's not a coating. Some bit of sorcery, they suspend a mixture of metals within the glass itself that allows light to only pass through in one direction but when heat in concentrated on one spot...i.e. touching the glass, the metals can rise toward the surface in that spot, thus creating the illusion that there is a hand print when in fact there is not. It's a texture thing that allows color to be refracted differently. Technical word I believe is metamerism.

Status
Not open for further replies.