how to get reading oh how much electricty my mini split is using ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chico 2

Apr 22, 2015
Ontario Canada
I am having a ductless heat pump installed in about 2 weeks. When it is installed I would like to monitor the power it is using. Is there some type of meter that can be hooked up to it to tell me how much power it is using ?

There are energy monitors that you can use to keep tabs on your whole house, or just one circuit.

Search Effergy or Ematic. Should be some on Ebay.

I have an Ematic (pretty sure just a rebadged Effergy - got it off Ebay), monitoring my whole house. It has two 'rings' you just snap around the two main house leads where they enter your panel. You could instead put those rings around the two leads to your heatpump if you want - or anything 120 or 240v as long as there was room to get the rings around the wires.

I bought a meter on ebay and wired it into the feed cable to the minisplit. The one I used is from this company http://www.ekmmetering.com/. Some have remote data access while some don't. They are permanent as they hook directly to the wiring to supply power for the meter electronics..

Last edited:
There are energy monitors that you can use to keep tabs on your whole house, or just one circuit.

I have an Ematic (pretty sure just a rebadged Effergy - got it off Ebay), monitoring my whole house. It has two 'rings' you just snap around the two main house leads where they enter your panel. You could instead put those rings around the two leads to your heatpump if you want - or anything 120 or 240v as long as there was room to get the rings around the wires.
All I get when I serch it is tablets could you help me out with a link

Maple1: I too have an efergy and love it. Does yours ever read zero? When everything is turned off but the power and breakers are all on? I have about a 150 watt "leak" but really each breaker reports a small leak as I shut them off one at a time to look for the culprit. I wonder if there isn't some sort of flux or magnetic field on a live wire that tricks the efergy into thinking that there is a small flow.

I've never seen zero - but I haven't tried watching it and turning all breakers off then on again. I should do that some time, got me curious now.

I've never seen zero - but I haven't tried watching it and turning all breakers off then on again. I should do that some time, got me curious now.

I have a known "everything off" current flow that may just be the lower end of the instruments accuracy. At night, before bed, this is how I make sure I didn't leave any lights on.

I used an ez read from hialeahmeter on mine. It's an old style electric meter with a spinning wheel. What surprized me is how little energy the Fujitsu rls2 uses

www.hialeahmeter.com/

Yes, they are exceptionally efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.