How to get rid of ground hog in front lawn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kalevi said:
He's gone. Just about anything one can do is illegal where I live. Even if I live trap, I'm only supposed to move it only 1/4 mile. I kept putting my cat scat and pee balls in the holes. After a couple of weeks of this, he got tired and moved on. Yeah! I guy in Toronto got charged with animal cruelty for using a shovel on a raccoon that had been digging up his yard.

Chemical warfare . . . I love it!

XactLEE said:
Apple is about the best live trap bait.

We had lots of issues with them in our apple orchard go figure!

Lay out in your yard early morning and late evening with fresh alfalfa woven in to your pubic hair and then hit him with a double bit axe when he starts feeding.

Bugboy said:
Lay out in your yard early morning and late evening with fresh alfalfa woven in to your pubic hair and then hit him with a double bit axe when he starts feeding.

Just be veeerrrryy careful with your aim!

Bugboy said:

Dude! You are supposed feed that alfalfa to the cows, not smoke it.

JMG said:
Bubble gum. Binds them up.

Seriously? Do coons eat this? If so I will go buy a carton. Them varmints are messing with my corn crop!

I use a shotgun on the ground hogs that show up here.

For raccoons, get a couple of large live traps, dig a small hole place a can of sardines that you have punctured with a few holes in the hole place the trip plate of the trap over the hole repeat with each trap.

You can also bait the traps with a raw egg (fresh egg do not wash it, don't use store eggs, this bait will last a month if the raccoon doesn't get to it). Marshmallows, grape jelly, and sticky buns also work very well.

Make certain the trap is staked down, raccoons are powerful and they will surprise you with how smart they are.

After capture humanely euthanize the raccoon.

ETA: I understand that both ground hog and raccoon are good eating.

SmokeyTheBear said:

For raccoons, get a couple of large live traps, dig a small hole place a can of sardines that you have punctured with a few holes in the hole place the trip plate of the trap over the hole repeat with each trap.

You can also bait the traps with a raw egg (fresh egg do not wash it, don't use store eggs, this bait will last a month if the raccoon doesn't get to it). Marshmallows, grape jelly, and sticky buns also work very well.

Make certain the trap is staked down, raccoons are powerful and they will surprise you with how smart they are.

Sticky buns also work very well if you are looking to capture Firefighterjake. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Sticky buns also work very well if you are looking to capture Firefighterjake. ;) :)

Not surprised, they'd work well for a lot of us.

I've caught a few this year with coil spring and small conibears.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=266039

Set down in the hole there is little chance you will catch anything but the groundhog. Dispatch any way you want to. I use a .22LR, but a pointy stick will work since you are so close to it.

Matt

FYI. Groundhogs and raccoons taste like crap.
But if given a choice, i like groundhog better.

I am not familiar with what crap tastes like…care to enlighten us? :cheese:

Crap tastes like groundhog and raccoon.

Ahhh…circular logic - gotta love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello

Do Car Road Flares work as good as Avenger Smoke Bombs? I use them for chipmunks!

Don2222 said:
Hello

Do Car Road Flares work as good as Avenger Smoke Bombs? I use them for chipmunks!

Here is a tried and known good way of ridding your yard of various tunneling critters.

Get some gas bombs insert one in each hole and gas the trouble makers (remember to acquire all needed licenses and observe all applicable precautions).

Status
Not open for further replies.