How to get the most from my insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drop360

Nov 19, 2014
Epsom, NH
Hello all!

Every time I search for help related to my insert, I always find myself looking at information from this forum. So, I thought I should register, and ask here directly!

My family burnt wood every winter as I was growing up. My fiancé's parents burn wood constantly during the winter. My fiancé's grandparents burned wood every winter (using the insert that we now own). And in every one of these examples, the heat was intense, room filling, and at times had you sweating as the snows fell. I assumed I would have similar experience with my insert.

But for some reason, I just can't get much heat (or consistent burning) from this insert. I know the insert worked very well at my fiancé's grandparents house, so I'm assuming something must be wrong with how it's installed, or how I'm using it.

House: built in 1950's
Chimney: located on outside of house, extends several feet beyond peak of roof
insert: Avalon 990
installation: direct vent to flue w/ 4' flex hose & block off plate, chimney damper removed
wood: 1 year seasoned hardwood

The insert only seems to be able to produce a comfortable heat within a 15 foot radius, and then it gets noticeably colder. Heat production is much better when the glass door is open, and I've been tempted to leave it open for long periods of time (though that seems like a bad idea!).

I also can't seem to find any sort of consistency with regard to keeping a fire going. Some days it's easy, others it's a day-long challenge. I can't pin down any reason for this.

So... any pointers? trouble shooting? obvious issues? other info needed?

I appreciate any/all help!

Thanks!

-Matt

Last edited:
I'm thinking the Avalon 990 is similar to our Avalon Ranier. My first thoughts always goes to wood supply....what is the moisture reading on the face of a fresh split ???.....20% or less is what you're looking for......second thought is the size of the flue pipe....I think 4 inches may be too small, not giving enough draft. Once you get this thing going as it should, a Blower is worth every dollar....noisy, but worth it.

I'm thinking the Avalon 990 is similar to our Avalon Ranier. My first thoughts always goes to wood supply....what is the moisture reading on the face of a fresh split ???.....20% or less is what you're looking for......second thought is the size of the flue pipe....I think 4 inches may be too small, not giving enough draft. Once you get this thing going as it should, a Blower is worth every dollar....noisy, but worth it.
Thanks for the very quick reply!

I made a typo in my original post - the flex pipe is 4' long, not 4" diameter (I've edited and made the change). It transitions from the round outlet of the stove to an oval shape flex pipe.

-Matt

Does the liner continue all the way to the top of the chimney? How tall is it?

That could be part of the problem, especially if the throat of the chimney is larger. It can make for poor draft. Is there an insulated blockoff plate at the damper area?

I recall this stove still having secondary burn tubes, is that correct?

That could be part of the problem, especially if the throat of the chimney is larger. It can make for poor draft. Is there an insulated blockoff plate at the damper area?

I recall this stove still having secondary burn tubes, is that correct?
The block off plate has some insulation stuffed above it. Though I can't guarantee I did a super great job!

There is a tube in the upper rear of the firebox that shoots flames when the stove is burning really hot. Is that a secondary burn tube?

-Matt

Here is ours....does it look the same as yours ???....our only problem is burn times.....small firebox, but heats our 1,700 sq ft Split Level Ranch pretty well.

Here is ours....does it look the same as yours ???....our only problem is burn times.....small firebox, but heats our 1,700 sq ft Split Level Ranch pretty well.

Very similar to that. Only mine sits further into the fireplace. There is not flat portion of the top extended out beyond the surround. It's just the slanted portion. I wouldn't be able to set anything on top of it like you have with yours.

-Matt

Ours blows the warm air from the sides and over the top....no vents, just radiant heat.

Oak and maple. Currently burning through a mix of ages - the least seasoned of the bunch was split and stacked last fall (2013). The rest was split and stacked before that.
The oak is probably giving you issues--maybe when it is working well you are burning better wood, but you are having trouble with the oak which probably needs another year or two.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Status
Not open for further replies.