How to get this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Visiting my secret town spot, I saw these big boys. Way to big to even nudge, much less move. That one to left is ~40 in both directions. Looks like white oak.

uploadfromtaptalk1442539757748.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442539765062.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442539773091.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442539778951.jpg

If I ran across a score like that I'd sure as he!! find a way
maybe cut it into smaller sizes

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Gawd, I wish I could find oak or hickory laying around here. All we ever see in the south of Idaho laying at dump sites are big nasty cottonwoods.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Trailer , winch( come-a long works well) , chains or web slings, ramps. Maybe some sheets of OSB or similar to keep log from digging into ground also on top of ramp/s Used this system many times in the past. Depending how close you can get might need some long steel stakes to act as an anchor point for come-a-long to re-position logs for loading. All this when not allowed to cut where they are as is some times the case on municipal property ( liability issues).

If I was to get in there to cut, what is the max length I can cut to get in my car, weight wise? The wood seems pretty wet still, this area doesn't get much sun.

I would cut into 18" logs then using wedges split in half, if your lazy you can also noodle in half, looks like its all big ash, so it would be as heavy as oak in that size.

I work with a small town public works dept and we cut trees all summer along the roadside. If the landowner doesn't want it, we'll take it to the town pit or transfer station, whichever is closer, or, usually, I'll take it. I haven't paid for firewood in years. Here's a tip, if your house is closer than the dump site, they might agree to dump it at your house. It's all about time, and if they can save 1/2 hour drive time by dumping at a closer location, they're all for it.

That's a nice score. I wouldn't be able to sleep until that was safely in my woodpile!

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I would cut into 18" logs then using wedges split in half, if your lazy you can also noodle in half, looks like its all big ash, so it would be as heavy as oak in that size.

Noodling instead of using wedges is considered lazy on wood this size? I'll disagree.

I must be a lazy one as I noodle only if I have to and do it a lot on ones that I can not split by hand, I don't have a splitter. That wood in the picture is smaller than the 54 inch oak I cut and split with a 16 inch saw and I got it done. That wood would be easy to do, just be careful of the rollers. There is NOTHING to big I can't cut with 2 wedges , maul and a 16 inch saw or even a 20 inch. I haven't found one yet.

Tigeroak , well when ya get older you will be trading in that maul on some powered equipment- ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Like kenny says, it might be White Ash, which would be relatively easy splitting once you buck it to length. If they don't quarter easily, just work your way around the outside with a maul until small enough to quarter.
just be careful of the rollers.
Yeah, it's dangerous bucking on a stack of logs! _g Or use a peavey to roll the logs to the ground first.
what is the max length I can cut to get in my car, weight wise?
I have loaded my car, passenger seat, back seat and trunk full of dry 16" splits, about 1/4 cord, but it's a big car and I didn't have too far to go, so could drive slow. Still way over the rated payload. Borrowing a truck would be the way to go on that wet stuff...

Last edited:

Or, more easier, you can noodle a groove the lengh to the round (to serve as a parting-line), bar-width or so deep. Then set wedge(s) and halve it. Converts much less wood to chips/noodles. Saves fuel & saw, speeds things up.

Reactions: Knots
Tigeroak , well when ya get older you will be trading in that maul on some powered equipment- ;)
What do you mean when I get older, I am 62 and will out split by hand most people my age and/or maybe even the younger folks. Like doing it that way and always have.

Reactions: barmstrong2
Or, more easier, you can noodle a groove the lengh to the round (to serve as a parting-line), bar-width or so deep. Then set wedge(s) and halve it. Converts much less wood to chips/noodles. Saves fuel & saw, speeds things up.
Hey, that's a good idea! Thanks.

I use a lot of wedges to split rounds after cutting a groove. I go through wedges like candy, but it saves wear and tear on the expensive gear.
I have cut logs out of piles before and you have to be careful. One wrong move and that could be it. I do not advise it.
Get a truck or find someone with a log truck and have them haul them whole for you. It would be much easier than trying to cut them in a pile and haul them home in a car. That pile would fill my truck at least 4 times.

Kinda looks like poison ivy vines on it. I'd drag the vines away with nitrile gloves, then cut to length and split on site.

Leaving those logs is not an option, Some pry weigh 3000 lbs.
Id try to cut them up into 18" sections, maybe get a small floor jack in there and separate with 2x4's and cut into manageable sections? very nice little stash

Status
Not open for further replies.