How to haul wood by hand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'd like to get some of the dead wood out from my place, which is on a hill.
I'm not putting in any paths or roads and it's just me (no horses, atv's, etc).
Are there backpacks, of a kind, maybe of canvass like a house wood carrier with shoulder straps, to wrap a bunch of splits in to trudge back to the clearing? Maybe sled on which to drag larger pieces out?
I know it's a reach, but I don't think I've seen this discussed.

How far do you have to move it? Is it being moved up a hill to a house, or up a hill to where your truck is located?

No truck. Wheelbarrow. There is flat land that I will do first but there is more hilly land (6 acres total). The distance isn't super huge, but there has to be some efficient way other than splitting it in situ and then carrying it in a log carrier.

Last year I was duped into collecting some logs from a downed oak. This "helpless single mother of 2" would give the wood away for whoever would haul it. I volunteer (I needed the wood) and show up at her house. Her backyard is steeper than a goddamn ski slope and the oak logs were about 16"x24". I had driven a bit of a ways so felt committed to get some of them. Jesus H. Christ - most strenuous thing I've ever done (proably cuz I've purged the memories of 20 mile full pack road marches).

It would have been easier if I had my garden cart that I have now. I'd tie a rope to the handle, then pull it up that hill with my truck.

Or, find someone with a ATV and split the wood with them.

Just curious.

What were you thinking putting a house, with a wood burning stove (?), on a hill without an access road to haul fuel to burn in your stove?

Sort of reminds me of a lad, after spending quality time in the bathroom in the sitting position, suddenly wondering where the blazes the paper was...

Aye,
Marty

You could use the winch and set up a zip line to get the wood off the hill.

In the situation where I can only go so far with the truck, what I do is cut them into what I can carry, sometimes just one round sometimes 6, I cut through 3/4 and throw on my shoulder and finish cutting at the truck..on the days that I do this, I usually sleep really good!

Can you roll them?

Thanks for the ideas. I saw a guy with a big duffle bag on his shoulders yesterday, maybe the splits could go in there. Winter would be a good time to slide things around. The good part about that sign idea is that you don't have to lift anything, just roll it on (I've got loads of rocks here too). earthharvester, that link didn't work for me; was it a winch? The winch kind of implies 12 volt power and a available straight line.

The trees all over the place. There'll be some easy ones near the driveway, and others on the hill far from flatness. Most of the trees aren't that big in diameter. A side benefit might be that the place will be a little tidier looking.

I guess looking at it as exercise might be the best view on it.

velvetfoot said:
Thanks for the ideas. I saw a guy with a big duffle bag on his shoulders yesterday, maybe the splits could go in there. Winter would be a good time to slide things around. The good part about that sign idea is that you don't have to lift anything, just roll it on (I've got loads of rocks here too). earthharvester, that link didn't work for me; was it a winch? The winch kind of implies 12 volt power and a available straight line.

The trees all over the place. There'll be some easy ones near the driveway, and others on the hill far from flatness. Most of the trees aren't that big in diameter. A side benefit might be that the place will be a little tidier looking.

I guess looking at it as exercise might be the best view on it.
http://www.futureforestry.com/arborists/index.html
Try this and see if it works

You can move a lot of wood by hand this way. the first time I saw the Jr Arch used we bought 2 of them.They work great.

I've cut smaller logs into 3 to 4 feet sections and carry them where I need them. Then usually I'll cut them up right there. Its a PITA and sometimes I wonder why I do it, but I just want to get out of the woods and back home by the woodpile. I guess any way you look at it, Its hard work but pays off!

O' Man , I'm just the opposite .........

I love being out in the woods and working , I'll cut up everything right there to size.
Again the opposite , just dont care for working at home in the yard when it comes to wood. Now working in the garden at home is another thread and I really enjoy that.

I do enjoy it, but sometimes I want to hurry and get in the house to rest. If Im in a hurry I'll cut em like that. Most of the time I have my little Oliver 55 tractor, my homemade truck bed trailer my 025 Sthil and my splitting maul. I can cut and split for hours, it is relaxing, but sometimes I am too tired.

This is all why I have a 6000# winch on my jeep. with 150' of cable, a Snatch block and some chain. Once its bucked into 16' or so lengths I drag it up, cut it and load it in the pickup. Also helps with falling trees leaning the wrong way, With 6000#s ofpersuasion you can usually get them to fall where you want. Although this does you no good perhaps you could hire someone with a winch to drag some of them up. Itdoesnt really take long and might save your back.

Dylan said:
While the 6000 pound figure might be reached in a purely vertical lifting mode, the 'dragging' capacity will be limited by the frictional (or chocking) force existing between the tarz and the ground.
Thats why they are normally over sized for the vehicle they are mounted too.
ie: 6000 # winch on a 3200 # Jeep. Pulling a 3XXX lbs Jeep out of mud is no longer just 3XXX lbs anymore.

Its not as if Im dragging 6000# logs. Perhaps 1000#s at most. And the snatch block does double the pull.

One could certainly do the same thing with a 1500# winch. 6000#s is just what I happen to have on the Jeep. Didnt mean to imply it was required.

I've been using a large blue Ikea shopping bag, which is tough enough to hold the weight, and large enough so that when filled with logs (cut to length using my bow saw) I can manhandle it to the car which is nearby. As it's a 4wd vehicle, I am tempted to back up closer to where the logs are, but it's very tight indeed and I don't want to get stuck!

Dylan said:
Roospike said:
Dylan said:
While the 6000 pound figure might be reached in a purely vertical lifting mode, the 'dragging' capacity will be limited by the frictional (or chocking) force existing between the tarz and the ground.
Thats why they are normally over sized for the vehicle they are mounted too.
ie: 6000 # winch on a 3200 # Jeep. Pulling a 3XXX lbs Jeep out of mud is no longer just 3XXX lbs anymore.

Agreed, but that DOESN'T change the validity of my contention....unless you're suggesting that one could(should??) get their truck stuck in the mud prior to dragging a log at the maximum limit of the hoist's capacity.

Or, is there a block and tackle system involved that increases the mechanical advantage??
Yeppers , Ok ....... I C where you getting at , I need it to be written in crayon i guess. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.