How to increase splitting speed & efficiency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the same routine today....
Why are you splitting so small? That whole stack would be kindling sized for our stove. I would think the BK would handle much thicker splits. We typically are burning splits 2 to 3 times thicker.

That's just they way we do... Dries far and easy for the wife to handle.. With the old e/w drive she was burning herself loading big pieces

If you have a slope, someone on here (BBart?) showed a pic that got me going. Line the rounds up uphill and let them come to you. Any woods tree i cut on my hillside, or pickup load of big stuff, gets done this way now if possible. her's a pic from a few oaks I did this way

Attachments

• temporary_zps798aefa9.jpg
    temporary_zps798aefa9.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 153
Increase speed and efficiency?!

Get a saw big enough that noodling is fun. Noodle rounds that are too big to pick up. Then trade in the slow splitter for a Super Split.

Splitting is the most fun part of the process for me - only complaint is that I get it done so darn quick!

Increase speed and efficiency?!

Get a saw big enough that noodling is fun. Noodle rounds that are too big to pick up. Then trade in the slow splitter for a Super Split.

Splitting is the most fun part of the process for me - only complaint is that I get it done so darn quick!
How does the super split handle knotty pieces, i had a piece yesterday that the 22ton was not happy about and was thinking the inertia splitters probably would have laughed at it.

That's just they way we do... Dries far and easy for the wife to handle.. With the old e/w drive she was burning herself loading big pieces
I found myself splitting smaller over the last year. Easier to handle, dry quicker, the wife is more apt to load the stove too

I think if you have good air control, smaller splits will last nearly as long as big splits (if you pack em in tight). I will give up a little burn time for the convenience......

Noodle rounds that are too big to pick up
I am gonna make a chain just for this..........supposedly if you grind the teeth somewhere between 0 and 5 degrees (as opposed to the normal 30) you get this

If you have a slope, someone on here (BBart?) showed a pic that got me going. Line the rounds up uphill and let them come to you. Any woods tree i cut on my hillside, or pickup load of big stuff, gets done this way now if possible. her's a pic from a few oaks I did this way
My backyard has a slight slope that I take full advantage of. Logs get delivered on the high side and the stacks are on the low side. It is real nice having a 24" round roll clear across the yard from a firm push with the boot and a few taps as it rolls to keep it on course.

Splitters are slow. You can streamline your process to make it slightly quicker. The reason to use a splitter is not for speed. it is to split wood with minimal physical effort.

Folks, thanks for the replies. I got the whole thing done last weekend using the vertical & horizontal method. Part of this can probably be traced to the splitter; supposedly the Huskee 28 ton has a very slow cycle time, and the wedge design is pretty lame: It is vertically very shot, meaning it "nicks" a lot of larger rounds rather than splitting them. Further, the leading edge of the blade stops about 4 inches from the foot which leaves me with many unfinished splits that need to be turned around and re-split. Every time I get a load of rounds in and do some splitting, I swear that a custom-made wedge will be ordered. Every time, I just say, "A, the heck with it" and keep on splitting.

How does the super split handle knotty pieces, i had a piece yesterday that the 22ton was not happy about and was thinking the inertia splitters probably would have laughed at it.
If it can't separate the grain, it can shear through it. The trick is to recognize when it isn't going to power through, tap the handle to disengage the rack for a couple seconds, let the KE build up in the flywheels, and then engage the rack again.

However, it's even better to just learn how to split in a smart manner. Instead of going right into the knot, split off the left side, then the right side, then sometimes you can split off the interior, and the piece remaining where the core of the knot is, is small enough to fit in the firebox itself. Every now and again I see a big enough knot that isn't worth the time to mess with, I'll just set it aside to block up with the saw or save for a bonfire.

Splitters are slow. You can streamline your process to make it slightly quicker. The reason to use a splitter is not for speed. it is to split wood with minimal physical effort.
That's far too broad of a statement. It depends on the splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.