how to inspect stainless steel double wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amh

Nov 22, 2014
pa
I have had my 30nc and 6 inch ss stove pipe for about 6 years now.
this year im sure i was overfiring the stove to try and keep up with the cold temps.

if my single wall black pipe that comes out of the stove is good and the horizontal ss double wall pipe that goes through my basement wall is good, would i have to inspect the rest of the chinemy?
these 2 pipes would have seen the hottest temps, so i would assume if these are good the rest would be good?
lastly, is cleaning the pipe and visually inspecting it the only way to do see if everything is i good condition?

any help would be appreciated
thx!

I have had my 30nc and 6 inch ss stove pipe for about 6 years now.
this year im sure i was overfiring the stove to try and keep up with the cold temps.
if my single wall black pipe that comes out of the stove is good and the horizontal ss double wall pipe that goes through my basement wall is good, would i have to inspect the rest of the chinemy?
these 2 pipes would have seen the hottest temps, so i would assume if these are good the rest would be good?
lastly, is cleaning the pipe and visually inspecting it the only way to do see if everything is i good condition?
any help would be appreciated
thx!
If you can see everything and see that the sides are not buckled at all and all of the joints are still good you should be fine. You are right about the part closest to the stove seeing the most heat unless you had one or multiple chimney fires then the whole system could have seen allot of heat. If you are in doubt get a sweep out to scan it with a camera

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx bholler,
ill check the outsides and joints.
whenever i ckean the chimney, i probably only get 2 cups of ash out of the chimney, so i assume that little bit wouldnt be able to create a chimney fire correct?

Thx bholler,
ill check the outsides and joints.
whenever i ckean the chimney, i probably only get 2 cups of ash out of the chimney, so i assume that little bit wouldnt be able to create a chimney fire correct?
No check the inside of the pipe the outside wont tell you anything. And no that much would not be enough to support a fire but there could have been more and that is all that is left after a fire. not saying that is what happened but i try not to rule anything out without checking it first

Status
Not open for further replies.