How to install a insert in a rusted heatform?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlinder

Dec 14, 2007
Oregon
I have a 1970 vintage ranch home, with a brick fireplace/chimney. Inside the brick fireplace is a heatform type insert, the prefabed sheetmetal type with tubes for the air to circulate through the bottom and out the top. The metal insert itself is rusted due the never having a cap installed, and it also rusted out the damper and part of the smoke shelf. I have a Fischer insert I'd like to install, but I'm not sure about how the get enough room for the 6" flue to get up through the throat of the metal insert. From reading some threads here, it appears I can cut the tubes and part of the throat out to gain room.... Using a grinder or sawzall? I've got a pretty small budget for this, but I also don't want to create a dangerous condition. So assuming it's okay to cut out what ever part of the metal insert I need to make room for the liner, what type of liner do I use? I've really only seen the flex SS stove pipe type locally, is that what I use? Also, is insulation mandatory? If so, what benefit does it provide?

If anybody has a documented install, that would help me alot. Just to clarify, my setup is a complete brick-made fireplace and chimeny on the end of the house with the back of the firebox and chimney outside of the house.

First question - is it legal to install old non-epa stoves in Oregon? I know it is not in some other states.

Yeah, a grinder with cut off or a sawszall is going to be your best bet unless you have a friend with a torch.

It should not be too hard to get the area large enough for a 6" pipe to fit down.

You can get flex pipe locally or on the net, and that might provide the easiest install. Do you know your flue size? If it is square, that usually means 12x12 and it will be easy to line. If it is rectangle, then you have to carefully measure it to make certain a pipe can fit down.

Insulation provides a warmer flue with better draft. It also adds a safety factor if some flue tiles are cracked, or mortar joints missing. You have to inspect the chimney to determine this, but in general insulation will improve the safety and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.