1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

how to install class a stove pipe through a tin roof?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by RIDGERUNNER30, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIDGERUNNER30

RIDGERUNNER30 Member

Loc:
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Hey guys I'am tiling my hearth pad rigth now and getting ready to buy my alderlea t-6 wood stove , my question is i will be installing a double insulated class a pipe, my pipe will go threw my second story closet and i plan on building a chase to enclose the pipe with the required clearances .my question is how do you seal around the the chimmey once it goes threw the roof, I see how people do this with a shingle roof, but i have a new metal clored tin roof what are your guys thougths. do you buy some kind of caulk sealant to go around the pipe to prevent water from leaking threw my roof.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mjbrown

mjbrown Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hartland,Me.
    i'm with ridgerunner. i have looked for this from time to time and cant seem to find anything.

mike
  3. dougand3

dougand3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Alabama
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    PM Hogwildz for the full details on the best way to do this. He's the expert roofer.
  5. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Didn't japipe do that last year? Pretty sure his post had plenty of pics too? Also he installed a device to divert the ice around the chimney pipe...info could be of use to RIDGERUNNER30.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  7. Bone1099

Bone1099 Member

Loc:
    Northwest GA
    I have installed metal roofing on many homes. Around large masonry type chimneys we used a colored flashing from the metal manufacturer and sealed around that with a clear silicone caulk. Around small protrusions such as bathroom vent pipes, gas vent pipes, electrical installations, and small chimneys we measure and cut the metal to fit very tightly 1/4" or less then seal around that with clear silicone caulk.
  8. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    Many manufacturers make high temp silicone rubber roof flashings for ribbed steel roof penetrations. If you have a lumber yard or hardware that sells the roofing in your area they should have a source. They are not inexpensive but they do the job. They have a "lead" edge that is formed to the roof and sealed and screwed down.

In addition you may want to build a diverter or “cricket” on the up slope side to turn water and snow away from the penetration of the roof caused by the chimney.

If you cant find information drop me a note and I can call my supplier and get the name of the product they carry.

Garett
  9. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    How close is your chimney to the peek of your roof?
    What I did on with my chimney, and skylights, is to lay another sheet of the metal roofing over top the chimney flashing and and metal roofing and slide it up under the ridge cap. That gives you a continuous seal from the ridgecap down and over the metal chimney flashing.
    Of course this may not be practical it all applications, but if you chimney is located close to your ridgecap it is the easiest and the most water proof, you are not relying on caulking which breaks down with time and tends to hold dirt and debri.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.