how to install handle savers on a sledge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
i got handlesavers for xmas. it says to lube the handle with ky jelly or linseed oil. woulnt that make it slippery????is there a way to do it with out a lube??? just looking for ways to not take out my neighbors who help me. for anyone that doesnt know handle savers are blocks of rubber that go onto a maul handle and absorb the impact of a over strike.

thanks for the help

cody

Soapy water or brake parts cleaner. Both of these were trusted methods for getting motorcycle handgrips on. The brake cleaner evaporates much faster so you might need someome to spray the handle as you slide the saver into place.

BOILED (raw is a very different animal) will provide a bit of protection for the wood and dry fairly quickly due to it's chemical dryers. The raw linseed oil takes much longer to dry and has been known to go rancid.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.