How to install water to air exchanger with Dayton motor/squirrel fan in garage with thermostat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdman1

Oct 13, 2009
Iowa
I have a Dayton 1/3 horse electric motor mounted on top of the Dayton squirrel cage fan mounted in the corner of my garage. I have a water to air heat echanger hanging in front of the fan. I am trying to figure out what kind of thermostat I need and how to hook it up to the electric motor ton control the temp in my garage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Depends on just what you need to have happen to get heat... Does the HX always have hot water going through it, or is there a zone valve that controls it?

If the HX always gets hot water flow, then all you need to do is turn the blower motor on and off - easiest way is to use a 110VAC thermostat wired in series with the motor.

If you have a zone valve or other controller for the hot water flow, you need a thermostat wired to send a demand signal to the control in order to turn on the hot water. Once the water turns on, you will need a second control to turn on the fan. If the zone valve has end switches you could use those (probably in combination with a relay) to say "valve open, start motor" or if this isn't practical perhaps a "close-on-rise" type aquastat attached to the HX that will turn on the fan when it senses hot water flowing through the coil.

Gooserider

You can buy "line level" 110V thermostats at big box stores for $30 or so. This is an easy way to turn the fan on and off. But like Goose said you will also need some way to control the hot water flow if it's not always on...

Status
Not open for further replies.