how to judge cord wood on delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamkam

Aug 1, 2008
SW Conn.
Ok, finally getting our first delivery this AM and wondering, how do I judge that i'm getting a full 3 cords? He said a cord fits in a parking space, approx. This sound right? Anything else I should be wary of -- other than it being pressure treated!? :p

The best way to know if its a full three cords is to take a picture and post it here so the experts can judge it. I did that when I received two full cords last week. Everyone said "there is no way that pile is two full cords". Sure enough it was 1/2 cord short! I called the dealer and he brought the remaining 1/2 cord.

Try to imagine the volume of 2 mid-sized cars all crumpled up and spread out in the driveway...I'd say that's about 3 full cords. But I wouldn't have a panic attack if I were a half cord short or so. I'd be more concerned about the load being good hardwood and mostly seasoned if that's what you're buying.

good suggestion will do.

curious tho, if i give him a check and it's short, i guess there's nothing stopping him from cashing it and then denying it. hate to sound like a cynic but there are unscrupulous guys out there.

HearthKB said:
The best way to know if its a full three cords is to take a picture and post it here so the experts can judge it. I did that when I received two full cords last week. Everyone said "there is no way that pile is two full cords". Sure enough it was 1/2 cord short! I called the dealer and he brought the remaining 1/2 cord.

That is a start but the way to do it is stack it and measure it so you can get the actual volume of wood = 128.

savageactor7 said:
Try to imagine the volume of 2 mid-sized cars all crumpled up and spread out in the driveway ...

...like a Ford LTD or more like a junked Impala? ...of which I'm sure they'd be easy to find at your local salvage yd of late;)

My wife paid the dealer in cash so I was worried that I got screwed. But...I gave him a call and politely explained the shortage and he apologized. I've heard some horror stories about crooked wood dealers so I guess paying by check can buy you a little time to see if its a full three cords after its stacked. If he's a crooked dealer, he'll probably cash that check after dropping off the wood. Give your dealer the benefit of the doubt first and don't think you're going to get screwed because others did. Stack it.... measure it... call him if its very short. Like others said, you should be more concerned on whether or not its fully seasoned like he said it is. "Seasoned" wood has many interpretations in this industry!

If you want to read about my wood dilemma you can see this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21795/

I like the picture idea.

When I sold wood, it was stacked on my truck and measured. I also would throw in a couple of extra pieces to sweeten the deal. The customer was always welcome to measure the load themselves if they desired to.

But I realize that stacking wood on a truck is just too impractical for some operations. In that case, I would stack one load the first time on the ground, measure it, then load it in the truck, observe the size of it and also take a picture of it for reference.

In your case jankam, if it looks short to you, you could always ask the driver if he would gaurantee the size of it if you would stack it and measure it yourself, especially if you plan to stack it for storage anyway.

Bill

BTW, if you are a little short, as mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about it. You also need to be sure that you keep in good terms with the guy as even tho it might look short, sometimes it isn't.

The quality and seasoned factor is also very important, as also mentioned above.

Bill

jamkam said:
Ok, finally getting our first delivery this AM and wondering, how do I judge that i'm getting a full 3 cords? He said a cord fits in a parking space, approx. This sound right? Anything else I should be wary of -- other than it being pressure treated!? :p
3 cords of wood is around 5-6 full truck loads (big truck full rounded and squating)

I don't understand why folks think is ok not to get a full cord. If i buy 2 gallons of milk and it turn out to be 1.5 gal I'm not not happy, so what if it is not sour. I payed for it.

do what most of the people here do that I know that get wood delivered. They give the wood gues 50% of the $ up front and tell them that they will have it stacked in x days. If they dont get the ordered amount, they dont get paid until the guy brings the remainder.

Just dropped off first cord. Small dump truck filled 1/2-3/4 to the top. Here's what it looked like on the ground with my wife. Notice she's in her business suit w/ NO intention of helping me stack today!!

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 479
jamkam said:
Just dropped off first cord. Small dump truck filled 1/2-3/4 to the top. Here's what it looked like on the ground with my wife. Notice she's in her business suit w/ NO intention of helping me stack today!!
looks like half cord to me but stack it and you will know for sure

still hard to tell but I would say 3/4 cord, need a pic of the overall length

That looks pretty close to me--maybe a little light, but you won't know until you stack it. If you can get it stacked before he shows up with the next load, then you guys can discuss the situation intelligently.

and BTW, if it does come out well, remember to give the guy a tip. Its good to establish a relationship with a decent wood dealer. Sometimes you get better stuff or get the loads quicker ;)

Adirondackwoodburner said:
and BTW, if it does come out well, remember to give the guy a tip. Its good to establish a relationship with a decent wood dealer. Sometimes you get better stuff or get the loads quicker ;)
Good point

My brother in law gets 10 cord of logs delivered. He tips the guy $20 for it

jamkam said:

P.T. is the least of your worries. I don't think any cord wood could be P.T. unless it was dressed on 4 sides and looked like a piece of dimensional lumber

Looks a little short to me too. Hurry up and stack it before he brings the rest so you can show him.

As far as tips go... I'd be careful about that. I paid $250 /cord for unseasoned wood that was claimed to be seasoned. When I quiered the driver he claimed it had been cut 8 months ago and had been lying, in log form, on the ground since then. Well I did give him 2 cans of energy drink and 2 power bars because I thought he might die in my driveway... and I'd rather have him die someplace else. Seasoned wood I did not get and I did pay a boatload for the pleasure.

jamkam said:

No way that is a cord....Maybe 3/4 of a cord , but not a full honest cord...Stack it and if it doesn't come out to 128 cubic feet call your wood guy and make him make up the difference. If he won't get a new dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.