How to judge firewood size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Is there any rule of thumb to judge how much wood is in a loosely piled stacked versus a neat stack?

A guy here is selling trailer loads of wood. The trailer is 12'x4'x4' or a cord and half. What would equal in stacked wood?

Loose tossed figure about 180-190 cubic feet to equal a cord. If they're tossing it in a trailer that size I'd guess it'll be real close to a cord.

12x4x4=92 cu. ft. minus 20% (for the loose pile of air) = 153 cu. ft. Or, a cord and 1/5

wood-fan-atic said:
12x4x4=92 cu. ft. minus 20% (for the loose pile of air) = 153 cu. ft. Or, a cord and 1/5

Ummm........ 12x4x4=192 not 92 You got the rest right

I'm just wondering if it's worth $225.00

karl said:
wood-fan-atic said:

karl, that would depend upon the wood prices in your area and what kind of wood it is. Sounds rather high price for me though.

All the guys around here want a fortune for it. I've seen 60.00 for a pickup load level to the bed no stacking. You pick it up.

I get slab wood from the lumber mill. Almost 2 cords for $110.00 It's just hard to get enough of it. I'm beginning to think I'm spoiled.

karl said:
wood-fan-atic said:

Sorry....typo...you KNOW what i meant , tho.
Are you a math teacher? I feel like I just got a partial credit deduction for getting the answer right, but having a small mis-calculation while "showing my work"! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.