How to judge . How much wood in a pile of rounds ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
. If the wood is already split. I can tell how much is there even if it's not stacked, but a tree or a pile of rounds I really can't tell.
So for the inexperienced, is there a rule of thumb, a general way to judge ??
This is just an example but, how much wood, would you say is in these two piles, by cords ??.
If I were to buy this pile of wood. in Example, I would not be intending on , burning it this season
OOPS, I forgot to put in link.
http://flint.craigslist.org/for/3404279353.html

I had read an article a while back and it was something like 160 cu ft per cord with it split and tossed in a bin (like on a trailer with sides). I had saved the website, but my computer got messed up during an update and I lost all my bookmarks.

If anyone has that site, please post up... I could be wrong on the # too, memory is a bit fuzzy.

Volumn of a bucked chunk is = radius squared * length*3.1 (close enough). Gotta convert everything to feet. I generally deal with 24" lengths and always used this as a guide 65 1 foot diameter make a cord. 20 2 foot diameter make a cord. Not sure if my math is right but I seem to have pretty good luck guessing using those 2 benchmarks as my guide.

If you take the time to calculate this for different lengths and widths and write it on a flash card sure would be a nice tool to have tucked away in the truck or wallet.

Hard to tell from the pictures but I would guess 1/2 a cord.

Does it really matter if it is split or not?
A cord is 128sq ft correct?
So if I measure a pile of rounds and it is, 3 feet high , 10 feet long, and 5 foot deep,it would be 150 sq ft, correct?

I always find the air gaps between rounds is bigger than the air gaps are when split and stacked. So your saying 150 cubic feet of rounds is equal to 128 cubic feet when split? It makes sense to me and sure is easier to figure than what I been doin all these years :)!!!!

I recall reading on this site that rounds split out expand in volumn, but not sure by what factor. Those piles are laying on the ground and some showing signs of punky? Kinda thinking that most of the rounds are white ash.

Guessing both piles slightly < full cord

Status
Not open for further replies.