HOW TO KEEP DEER OUT OF THE VEGGIE GARDEN?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DavidV said:
BeGreen said:
All I'd have to do is electrify the patio. Then I could roll them right into the kitchen. They come right up to the entry windows and munch on the flowers there if I don't spray them.

DISCLAIMER. I ain't no poacher. I'm a father who hunts and raised his children to hunt responsibly and legally. But I gotta say....the sheer "FUN" factor to engineering that eloctro project just tickles me.

Actually here's what I really want. I figure with a big enough trebuchet I could launch them into Puget Sound. However, it might confuse the eagles a bit.

Attachments

• Trebuchet.jpg
    Trebuchet.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 558
  • deer_launch.jpg
    deer_launch.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 555
When you do the electric fence thing remember one thing. Nearly all the problems with not enough ground. I can't cite the website but this guy who has installed fences for most of his life said that so I tend to believe him. His claim is that most electric fences put up don't have enough ground as they use short rods or whatever they have on hand. Moral of story get a full length 8' grounding rod and use it all. If you have to due to rock like I have cut it and bond the pieces together. Its also a good idea to unplug it when you can think of it and thunder storms are in the area. They burn out when hit by lightning, been there done that. I would imagine that they are just like horses and once they know what it is they won't go near it afterwards so you don't have to run it all the time. Still you need to run it some times just to keep the memory fresh.
You know what the best deer repellent is, a dog. Be it a Great Dane or an ankle biter put one around there and you won't ever see a deer or bear. One nice thing you have to give the critters though. They won't trespass on your property, get hurt being stupid then sue you, break into your house or steal your car. Ah but the crosses we must bear?

I have a dog, but you will see a picture of him in the other thread sitting in front of my fireplace,..which means he is an inside dog, but loves to catch animals any chance he can (Besenji). We have little to no lightning here in the Pacific Northwest, nothing like back home in Michigan, thats for sure! I will however heed your suggestions on the electric fence as well. Thanks!

I have found another great solution to keeping deer not just out of my completed garden, but away from my Wife's 15 or so rose bushes! It is a product called, "Liquid Fence" and it is great. The only negative is it stinks badly at first and eventually the odor goes away. I watched the deer today, wouldn't even get near those rose bushes, but ate my neighbors shrubs for about an hour!

Having read this thread and all of the fence talk I used to have a bad deer problem in my flower beds. Them deer do love Hosta's, emerging Tulips and daylilies, rose bushes and virtually anything else that we love to have in the garden and flower beds. I have tried many things but the most effective thing that I use is also good for the plants is......MILORGANITE. I have no fence, no wire laying on the ground, no big cat urine, no human hair, just milorganite.

I still see deer in the area but they avoid the areas where applied like the plague.

www.milorganite.com

I have a hand spreader that I fill and walk through my garden and flower beds and spread the 'fertilizer'. I reapply after heavy rains or every 2 - 3 weeks from spring to fall.

Since using this stuff I have NEVER had a plant eaten.

You can thank the good citizens of Milwaukee for that.

eba1225 said:
Having read this thread and all of the fence talk I used to have a bad deer problem in my flower beds. Them deer do love Hosta's, emerging Tulips and daylilies, rose bushes and virtually anything else that we love to have in the garden and flower beds. I have tried many things but the most effective thing that I use is also good for the plants is......MILORGANITE. I have no fence, no wire laying on the ground, no big cat urine, no human hair, just milorganite.

I still see deer in the area but they avoid the areas where applied like the plague.

www.milorganite.com

I have a hand spreader that I fill and walk through my garden and flower beds and spread the 'fertilizer'. I reapply after heavy rains or every 2 - 3 weeks from spring to fall.

Since using this stuff I have NEVER had a plant eaten.

Can you tell me which of these products it is that you use? Or will any of them work as you indicated? I would like to use it along with the liquid fence,...sounds good.

Detmurds,

They are the same product, but I purchase the big blue bag, (the usual price is between $9 - $10). Usually in a season I go through 4 - 5 bags. The yellow bag is resealable.

I do not see the purpose of the resealable as I leave the blue bag open for weeks at a time in my shed.

Erik

eba1225 said:
Detmurds,

They are the same product, but I purchase the big blue bag, (the usual price is between $9 - $10). Usually in a season I go through 4 - 5 bags. The yellow bag is resealable.

I do not see the purpose of the resealable as I leave the blue bag open for weeks at a time in my shed.

Erik

Thank You,...I see that according to the web address you supplied, there is a store selling this product right by my house.

I use the Have A Heart sprinkler, with motion sensor. It sprays them in the face works pretty good. Bought it at Norther Tool. A freind of mine said I should also try, remember those fish that are mounted on a trophy that sing when you walk past, putting one on a stake in the garden.

I'll try the Milorganite around my Morning Glories and let you know if it works, I would have to see it to believe it. My friend used solar flood lights with a motion sensor, said the deer just kept on eating.

The fish would be funny, but how long can it last outside in the weather? Anyhow, I was thinking about doing the light thing as well,....that way I can get a better aim!

Status
Not open for further replies.