How to know if the flue is open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Cottrell

Nov 10, 2013
New York
I know this sounds ridiculous, but I just took a rental home that has a Fisher Baby Bear in the fireplace. How do I ascertain with certainty that the flue and anything else that needs to be open above the stove is in fact open so it's safe to burn in the Fisher? Thanks.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I just took a rental home that has a Fisher Baby Bear in the fireplace. How do I ascertain with certainty that the flue and anything else that needs to be open above the stove is in fact open so it's safe to burn in the Fisher? Thanks.

Call a reputable chimney sweep & have the entire system cleaned & inspected. Be SAFE.

+2 That's the only way. You need to go through the insert also. I would think that the landlord would spring for that. I would have.

Do you have any experience with burning in a stove? I believe that stove is an older pre-EPA stove. You may enjoy this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-papa-mama-and-baby-bear-details-bear-series.86736/

If you have any questions about the operation of the stove, don't hesitate to ask.

What do you have for wood?

Oh, and welcome. The question is an excellent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.