How to lift/get stove onto hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tputnam

Nov 24, 2008
Western Mass
Hello, I've just joined the group. We have a new Hearthstone Heritage stove out in the shed. I have just finished making the hearth, which sits 2 1/2 inches above the floor. The stove weighs 556 pounds. My husband and I got it off the truck and into the shed using broom handles to roll the pallet on. We need to get the stove into the house now. I'm not so worried about that part, but how do we get it up onto the new hearth? I really don't want to crack the tiles that I put on top of the hearth! Any suggestions on logistics?

Thanks so much,
Tracey

I moved mine the same way - only using 1" pvc pipe.
Put 2 1 x 3's under the legs, then the broom handles under that, then stack 1 x 3's near the stove to make a set of stairs up to the hearth.
Using this method, you only have to lift one side of the stove 3/4". With 2 people it's very easy.
Once on the hearth, the 1 x 3 skids help to distribute the weight, so you should not get damage to a proper tile install.

Hi

A Refridgerator dolly is very handy, and can be rented. Dolly should be able to let ti down right about where you want it.

I put several sections of newspapper to prevent scratching hearth. I lifted one side and had another 180# man on the other side. It was a foot or so up onto my hearth.

tracey said:
Hello, I've just joined the group. We have a new Hearthstone Heritage stove out in the shed. I have just finished making the hearth, which sits 2 1/2 inches above the floor. The stove weighs 556 pounds. My husband and I got it off the truck and into the shed using broom handles to roll the pallet on. We need to get the stove into the house now. I'm not so worried about that part, but how do we get it up onto the new hearth? I really don't want to crack the tiles that I put on top of the hearth! Any suggestions on logistics?

Thanks so much,
Tracey

Did you remove the bricks first to lighten the weight

I used a two wheeled dolly to get the stove off the trailer and into the house. Then I enlisted the help of two other people to help me get it up onto the hearth pad. I removed the door and firebrick to make it a little bit lighter.

Whatever you do, don't get all macho and try to do it yourself. Those things are heavy, and you only get one back per lifetime.

-SF

If it's too heavy to lift, use its own weight to your advantage. create two stacks of lumber side by side near the center balance point. The frist lift will be the hardest since you need to lift half the weight of the stove to place the stacks under it. after that it is real easy as it teeters back and forth. Teeter it to one side adding a board to the other side. Do the same the other way and repeat until it is high enough to slide into place. You can lift tons like that.

Me, the guy who bought my heritage and his two volunteers removed and loaded it, and then I bribed the three guys who got the heritage with a 12-pack to help lift the mansfield onto the hearth. Pretty good deal, I think. I think four is plenty to move a heritage, five would have been better for the mansfield...

Be careful not to lift from under the ash pan, like with a dolly - you need to keep the weight on the legs (i.e. pallet). Lifting under the ash pan can damage the pan and the ash pan door. Also, be careful when tilting the stove - I examined the heritage closely before moving, and it appears to me that if you tilt onto two legs, you risk snapping the legs (these are cast iron legs, a rather brittle metal). Take off the door(s) and any other loose parts like the grate to help lighten up the load a little.

I would agree with using a dolly and ratchet straps. That's what I used. Removing the bricks would certainly help reduce the weight somewhat. Just mark them so you know how to put them back in. Good luck. Take your time and be careful. That's a beautiful stove that you're installing.

Thank you all so much - I think we can use a combination of your suggestions to make this a lot easier than I thought. Can't wait to get it hooked up and running! I used Urbanite tile on the hearth top; the tile is half an inch thick and very sturdy, so that will help.
Thanks again,
Tracey

I used a hydraulic pallet jack to move mine around and re-install. I have a 2 1/2" hearth as well. The pallet jack raises and lowers to line up with doors, hearth etc. You can rent one most anywhere, or just ask to borrow one from someone.

My installer friend and I put in our Heritage using thick rubber sheets on the hearth, after dollying the pallet into the room and placing the pallet in front of the raised hearth. We stood on either side and muscled it slowly and carefully off the pallet, onto the rubber-sheeted tiles. This let him move it around if needed to line up the sheetmetal connections, etc. Once everything was in place we put it back where it needed to be and took turns rocking it up on one side and sliding out the pads. No scratches.

It is a heavy bugger tho!

The man and woman who installed my insert made the comment "It's like moving bank safes. One inch at a time."

I slid the crate off the trailer onto a furniture dolly. I did not strap it onto the dolly but that is not a bad idea. Then I got a couple of neighbors and we pushed it up 2 planks onto the porch and then into the house. When we set it in front of the hearth, that is when we took the crate apart. We then removed the top lid and firebricks to lighten the load, slid two 2 x 4's under the stove and with 2 men on one end and a gorilla on the other, we just lifted up and over. It was done in a flash.

About an hour before i had my wife cook a big pot of spaghetti and garlic bread.
I called a friend of mine and said "dinners on".
He is 6'5 400 lbs. I am 6'4 325.
We lifted it out of the truck, dollied it to the hearth and lifted it up and in.
No problem, find 2-3 big boys, and feed them well.

Brad

LONDONDERRY said:
Did you remove the bricks first to lighten the weight
I not only removed all the firebricks but also removed the grilles and the door. I did it not just once but twice, having installed the same model in my former home. I picked up my unit with a mini-van and had to take it off the pallet to fit it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.