How To Load And Tie Down Chipper On A Utility Trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Hi. I have a line on a used chipper and I have to drive an hour and a half one way. I have a folding utility flatbed trailer that tilts down. I practiced with a snowblower and managed to get it on there myself, so hopefully...

The other thing is, how to tie it down so it doesn't fly off or otherwise get damaged? I was going to use a lot of tie down straps. How about wheel chocks? I don't want them to fly off either.

I'll try to put a manufacturer's pic below. It doesn't have that optional big chute. I'm thinking I could unbolt the hopper to make it a little more 'together'.

Would tilting be a big no-no? Maybe as long as the oil doesn't come out?

Any suggestions?

cpr_pro_500.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
I'd strap the wheels and jack down tight, then remove the hopper to eliminate the "sail" in the wind. What speeds are you going to be driving at?

Thanks. I didn't even think about the windage factor, I just was thinking of the bouncing factor.
I could go the fast way, or the slow way. I'm leaning to the slow way now :) , if only I can pull over once in a while to check things out.

Reactions: heat seeker
That front foot folds down for towing on a garden tractor or such so I would use that by adding a hitch point to the front of your trailer to start after that good ratchet straps ( 2" heavy duty, those thin ones arn't worth much) to secure it. go a little ways and re-tighten straps before hitting the main drag. I always use straps one to left one to right one front one back in other words a four point tie down and then a couple over the top for vertical tie down.

That front foot folds down for towing on a garden tractor or such so I would use that by adding a hitch point to the front of your trailer to start after that

I'm sorry, I can't visualize. You suggest extending the arm in towing postion? Then the unit would be tilting some.

By using the towing arm in the towing position it prevents moving forward or rearward but you can only do it this way if you add a receiver ( for the arm) to the trailer solidly bolted or welded in place. I do not know if that is a ball coupler on it or just a 2 plate slip pin item ( the towing arm that is ) That is how I move my bearcat chipper on highways ( trailered) as it is only good for a max of 40mph ( and that's pushing the limit) on its own unsprung wheels. Same with my splitter. I still use a bunch of straps as I do not trust any one thing. Its not a good day when your equipment passes you on the highway. ( no, I do not have that T shirt, but have seen the results many times)

Well, the subject is moot now for me since the seller just wrote that someone came over and bought it.
I didn't make the trip today because the weatherman said it was going to be a washout.
The sun is coming out now.
Oh well. I know that's the way it goes, but I'm still bummed.

Sorry 'bout that!

But at least he called, so you didn't make a trip for nothing!

There now, don't you feel better? (just yankin' your chain…)

Thanks for the condolances.
You know, I keep reading of people making great deals and so on, but it never seems to happen for me.

Good deals on CL- got to be fast, the ones that jerk my chain are response only be e-mail, of which n 99.5% ends up in their spam folder and you never hear back. To be fair I have gotten some very good deals. Some so-so.

Status
Not open for further replies.