How to maintain steel cooktop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magoozin

Jan 29, 2016
Maryland
We have a Jotul Rangeley which has a steel cooktop. Our old humidifier pot leaked and there is rust and scale on the stovetop. I have removed the rust and most of the scale. Does anyone know if I should put anything on the surface of the cooktop to seal it? oil?

It doesn't get sealed. Wire brush it clean and call it a day.

I had a similar issue. I ened up using a random orbital sander to clean it up. I was concerned that the sander would leave swirls and orbits behind, but I reasoned that anything would be an improvement. It came out fine. Not quite 'out of the box' condition, but much better. There is still a ghost image of the steamer, but you have to squint to see it. I sanded it back in September or October, and it has now taken on a rusty haze. As it happens, the stove is cold at the
moment. I think I will scuff it up again right now. Maybe even take before and afters. Hmmm....

By the way, the steamer isn't going to do much humditty wise. Mine was a gift from my in-laws, so I used it for a while. I stopped after the staining got bad, and a few refilling accidents ;). Got a small humidifier instead. Hate the noise of it though. I'd rather enjoy static shocks.

Ok, I went and did it. Here's before.........

173571-1c5811985bd2db5e8bdee1183cf26a7e.jpg

...And after:
173572-b52ef9c8fe33d64a9ea53025e5827d4f.jpg

The camera adds 20 lbs.... It didn't look as bad as the before photo, and it doesn't look as good as in the after one. Nevertheless, its an improvement. Posting this has already taken longer than it took to bring the top out to the garage, get the sander, do the deed, and put the top back on the stove. Upon closer inspection, it look like the rust has progressed a little. The stuff never sleeps, eh? There is some pitting around the ring of where the steamer was. I suppose I could undertake some more aggressive techniques, but there are, it must be said, bigger fish to fry. Oh well. Its just a piece of steel, after all. Just say no to steamers.

Thanks, Magoozin, for getting me to dress that thing up. Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC05368.JPG
    DSC05368.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC05372.JPG
    DSC05372.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 68
I too quit putting a steamer pot on the stove. You will get those water stains that don't come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.