how to make pex decoiler ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Can anyone point me in the right direction to make a homemade pex decoiler ? Thought I seen a thread on the subject before but can't find it.
Thanks, J.T.

I took a "lazy susan" bearing set from the hardware store, screwed it to a 2x6 that I mounted on my foundation through the anchor bolts. Then on the top surface of the bearing, I screwed another 2x6 and an old wire spool to it. I'd set the pex coil on the old wire spool and just pull it off. It wasn't pretty, but it worked great. I installed all my tubing over 3000 sq ft this way. I think the bearing was about $10...the rest was scraps. Oh yeay, on top of the old wire spool I'd screw on another 2x6 to keep the coil sitting on the spool.... I'd remove the screws and put on the next pex coil when the time came.

When I put the pex in the house back in 2001, I uncoiled the 300' loop through the grass and had the kids walk along with it.....the spooler worked much better! This time the kids were actually working with me with the tubing.

I'm looking for a way to straighten it and take the recoil out of it. Does it hurt to have the pex exposed to sun for a week or two ? Found a thread where a guy pulled it threw a 3' piece of 2" pvc pipe to straighten is this a good methed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.