How to meet sheets of durock together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich

Nov 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I just finished putting up my clearance reduction wall durock with the 1" gap behind it, and I see one issue. Where the 2 sheets meet didn't fall over a stud, so they are pretty unsupported where they meet. How should I attach them together at the seem? Maybe with sheetrock seem mesh tap and just thinset right over it when I put the tile on? I would think that would work pretty well.

The Durrock needs to meet over a stud.....so either cut sheets to fit stud location...or install another stud behing the joint. Tape and thinset will not be a strong joint. The tile will crack there.

There are metal H-clips made specifically for roof sheathing that you could use to stiffen up the joint followed by fiberglass mesh tape and thinset.

Are you using metal studs?? You need to slide something behind that seem for both pieces to screw into. I would just suggest a 2x4 on the flat if you can do it. If not, use another piece of Durock??

Many people use the same floor tile on the wall which is a lot stronger and should not be in jeopardy. I would not put wood or anything that impedes air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.