how to mend a burnt spot on a wood floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
So I did a dumb thing and opened the door of my avalon while it was still hot and then knocked a few pellets out and a 3 hit my wood floor and put in some nice burn marks. The stove is on a piece of granite of the requisite dimensions and if I let it cool for 20 minutes (or probably just 10) this isn't an issue.

Does anyone have any tips for products/process? We have a high gloss solid oak floor. I figure I'll have to sand or ground out the burn then fill it with something. There are 3-4 spots all smaller than a pellet where the marks are.

I don't think there is any way to avoid the hassle of cutting out the burn. Perhaps a ear swab with bleach is worth a try. what have you got to lose. Do you have any scraps of the flooring left? If so, you could take a small carving chisel and cut out the burn and replace it with a similar piece from the scrap. Then you'll of course have to do some careful sanding and finishing.

Ouch,

Was the floor pre finished or or was it put down sanded, etc ....

What you do depends on the actual damage, its location, and the actual finish.

Probably could sand and fill with tinted wood filler. I have seen them(pro floor guy) use a hole saw and them make a plug to fill the bad spot. But it didn't look all that easy!

j-takeman said:
Probably could sand and fill with tinted wood filler. I have seen them(pro floor guy) use a hole saw and them make a plug to fill the bad spot. But it didn't look all that easy!

I know one person who does that among other things, he has been doing wood floors for forty years. It isn't all that easy it is very fussy work.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

I know one person who does that among other things, he has been doing wood floors for forty years. It isn't all that easy it is very fussy work.

Yep, You got to make the plugs just a bit larger so they fit snug. Sand flush, stain and coat. But hard to tell if done right!

If the spots are all on one piece you might be able to remove that one piece and do the replacement that way. This can be chisel or Dremel Tool time and is also fussy work. If you can sand the burn out and color match the now bare wood with the finish that is there you might be able to get things so the marks aren't noticed. Still fussy work.

Take a look here for some ideas: http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60180

Or you can put a fancy rug there!!! ;-P

Ayuh, they call them battle scars. Wear 'em with pride.

A quick way for areas that don't see a lot of traffic is to make a color close-up picture of a nearby, similar looking area with your digital camera and print it out. You may have to keep playing with the color settings on your computer and your printer a bit till it matches up nicely.

Then shave off a thin, irregularly bordered area over and around the burn spot, cut the photopic to match and glue it in place with 2-component epoxy glue. Finally, apply several layers of clear epoxy over the top; going as far around the spot(s) as you have to go until you meeet a natural border or seam.

If this sounds weird; just remember that much of the cheaper "veneer" on wood signs, floors and walls is actually photographed as well!

Henk

Status
Not open for further replies.