How to move heat around house...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCburner

Oct 21, 2015
Davidson, NC
Putting an englander NC 13 into my old, 1895 single story with a choppy floorplan, crawlspace and 11' ceilings. This is not our primary heat source (have natural gas) and being in North Carolina, we spend most of the winter 20's to 40's on the cold days. The house is very old, original windows, drafty/etc. though and the thermostat is located in the hallway near the living room. As a result, even with the old Buck Stove, single wall (no brick) insert, when we burn the front of the house is relatively warm, while the back two bedrooms and bathroom are pretty cool. I have a sense that with the Englander (which will actually produce real heat), the problem will get worse. I am thinking about adding a couple of floor vents in the back two bedrooms with a blower in the crawl (with a switch in the hallway) and a return vent of sorts in the living room to help move the warm air to the back of the house. Other option would be to do a compact wall insert blower fan between the living room and shared wall bedroom. Any thoughts?

upload_2015-11-30_12-11-19.png

Last edited by a moderator:
no pun intended

Consider putting the return in the master bedroom and blowing into the stove room. That will pull warm air through the house to replace the MBR air.

I would not do permanant stuff at first becuase your still in testing mode.

I have changed my moving air around 3 times now and every time it's get better.

If I was you I would but a nice size floor fan (get quiet one)in your hall way and blow it toward your living room where the stove is. Where In the hallway you can play with to get the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.