How to OAK for cheap (For Enviro M55C-FS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
OK,
Just finished up installing the OAK for my M55C-FS today.
For anyone contemplating installing one here is a low cost solution.

This Stove has a 3" Intake air connection on the bottom left of the rear panel (facing the rear)

This hearth previously held my Enviro EF-2 FS so the old 2" OAK hole(s) in the side wall were from before.

I went to to Home Depot and picked up 3 Galvanized 3" adjustable 90deg vent sections
1 60" Galvanized 3" Round snap together Vent section and a can of foam sealant.

I put 1 adjustable 90 on the stove to see where I needed the vent to lay out. I figured out that if I added a 2'nd
adjustable 90 I would be at the necessary height and shooting at the correct angle.

I took a measurement from the old 2" OAK hole and ended up exactly 5" to the right of that (inside).
From outside I used a 3" hole saw and opened up the outside siding/sheathing.
This exposed the inside (barn board) wall.
I used a long drill bit to punch center out of the inside wall hole.
Then using the same 3" hole saw from inside, I opened up the inside wall exactly where I wanted it.

I ran the 3" straight pipe through the wall and lined it up with the 90's on the stove.
Using a pair of snips I cut the extra outside straight pipe back so I had a 2" stub exposed on the outside wall.
I then slid on the last 90 outside angled down to keep rain/snow out.

Being a wood turner I made up a couple of 2" plugs to fill the old 2" OAK outside holes.
There are 2 of the 2" holes because my first attempt years ago hit a stud. :)

In spring I think I'll paint it black to match the exhaust vent
Have to come up with some kind of critter screen to cover the outside end.

Total cost....
$10.74 Adjustable 90 deg sections x3 at $3.58 each
$7.25 60" straight Vent pipe
$3.98 can of great stuff gap and crack foam sealant
----------------------------
$21.97 Total OAK install kit

Hope this helps someone out,
---Nailer---

Attachments

• IMG_0133 (800x449).jpg
    IMG_0133 (800x449).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0134 (800x449).jpg
    IMG_0134 (800x449).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0137 (800x449).jpg
    IMG_0137 (800x449).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0141 (800x449).jpg
    IMG_0141 (800x449).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 433
Looks great. I bought some of the same stuff to install the OAK on my 50F and have yet to do it.. Shame on me...

Anyways.. Looks great. I seen a guy locally that had the stuff for an OAK, thats when I went to HD and grabbed some.

If you get a small piece of hardware cloth, either quarter or half inch, cut a circle just a little larger than the OAK, you can just push it up. tension will hold it in place, yet it will still be easy enough for you to turn it sideways and remove it in the non heating months so you can stuff something in it to keep moisture out. Good setup.

Nice job nailer. Looks much neater than my flex I got a HD. Also looks simple to plug up for critter deterrent once the seasons done!

Wish I had caught the the guys that put my stove in before they had made the hole in the wall. They put it close to the floor, instead of up a bit. That means that outside it's only maybe 8" off the ground. I have to keep an eye on it when it snows or gets windy.

I may end up pulling the stove out this summer, patching the drywall and doing something like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.