How to operate Atlanta S.W. #27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demo-it

Feb 7, 2014
NJ
This is my first wood burning stove of any sort and I have no idea how to use:

Is there supposed to be fire-brick inside?
If so, where does it go? Bottom, sides?

Should there be a tray for the wood inside?
If so, can a typical steel tray for a fireplace suffice?

Is there a way to adjust the draft, if so, how?

Anything I'm missing? I'm anxious to just load it and start a burn...

TY

Biggest thing with this stove is going to make sure you have your clearance to combustibles in order, large enough hearth pad, wall protection with 1 inch air space behind if necessary, etc.

If you want the installation double checked you could always add some pics of the installation but in general, clearances should be 36 inches to anything combustible unless there is an appropriate shield, etc, these aren't for close quarters.

Also, did you remember to give the insurance company a call and let them know you are going to be using a wood stove if this is new in the dwelling? Or wasn't there when the policy was instated?

Here's a link to a wiki article on the site about the stove that may be of interest to you. https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/atlanta-stove-works/

Welcome to the site and good luck.

pen

Biggest thing with this stove is going to make sure you have your clearance to combustibles in order, large enough hearth pad, wall protection with 1 inch air space behind if necessary, etc.

If you want the installation double checked you could always add some pics of the installation but in general, clearances should be 36 inches to anything combustible unless there is an appropriate shield, etc, these aren't for close quarters.

Also, did you remember to give the insurance company a call and let them know you are going to be using a wood stove if this is new in the dwelling? Or wasn't there when the policy was instated?

Here's a link to a wiki article on the site about the stove that may be of interest to you. https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/atlanta-stove-works/

Welcome to the site and good luck.

pen
Thank you for the warnings/suggestions...

I will say you now have me concerned, I did have the stove professionally installed though. There is 18" between the black pipe and the walls. There is plenty of space between the stove and the brick surround. The only issue I see is there is only about 20" between the door opening and the edge of the hearth. I will be picking up a hearth pad for that tomorrow.

Sorry, not sure how to rotate the pic.

Thoughts? 20140207_174813.jpg

Off the top of my head 20 inches to the front should be good, I can't remember if it's 16 or 18 that is required as a general rule (having a brain fart).

pen

Off the top of my head 20 inches to the front should be good, I can't remember if it's 16 or 18 that is required as a general rule (having a brain fart).

pen
I read the town code and 16" is minimum. I have not measured yet to be certain but I plan to put a hearth mat of some sort to be safe.

Any idea if I should line with firebrick or if I should try to find a steel log tray that fits?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.