How to order pellets through box stores?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocko1

Burning Hunk
Feb 1, 2014
Jersey city,NJ
I installed a p61a Towards the end of last winter and I burned two tons. It was unusually cold though. I am looking to order 6 tons of pellets though either lowes or home depot. Has anyone had experience ordering pellets through these store. How can I get a specific brand of pellet from them. There are a few brands from these stores that I wouldn't burn again if I had the choice. I also would like to know if these box stores will deliver the pallets in my garage. Thanks

I have ordered from Home Depot in my area before. It was easy, delivery was cheap & they put the pellets in my garage for me. That was the year they had a fireside Ultras in my area, 2 seasons ago. Last year they did not stock those.

As far as I know, you can't ask for a specific brand. You get what they choose to stock in a given year. That's why last season I did not order from them, they had North Americans.

Last year I ordered 3 tons from Home Depot in Taunton. They had Fireside Ultras along with other brands, when I ordered my pellets. I told them I wanted the Fireside Ultras and that is what was delivered. Also I did everything over the phone plus I wanted them put under my carport and there was no lssue.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Last year I ordered 3 tons from Home Depot in Taunton. They had Fireside Ultras along with other brands, when I ordered my pellets. I told them I wanted the Fireside Ultras and that is what was delivered. Also I did everything over the phone plus I wanted them put under my carport and there was no lssue.
Maybe in the larger areas that offer more than one brand you can specify?

The store near me usually only gets one brand per season.

What month did you place your order?
August maybe? It was 2 years ago. I liked the FSU's. Right now it looks like North Americans are my option, not crazy about them.

I installed a p61a Towards the end of last winter and I burned two tons. It was unusually cold though. I am looking to order 6 tons of pellets though either lowes or home depot. Has anyone had experience ordering pellets through these store. How can I get a specific brand of pellet from them. There are a few brands from these stores that I wouldn't burn again if I had the choice. I also would like to know if these box stores will deliver the pallets in my garage. Thanks

Easy to order - you should go out to where they keep the pellets stored so you know what brands they have and how many of each. Then you go to the service desk and place the order - they take info on delivery etc., which is a flat fee. Like others have said they generally put them where you want them - I have them put them at the top of my bulkhead basement doors so I only have to walk up and down, not around the house when stacking them in the basement. As far as getting the brand you want - you are limited to what the store has in stock. I've had the experience where they have 2 brands and I specifically tell them at the service desk to put in the notes section of the order which brand I want. I also point out that I will refuse the delivery if they don't deliver the ones I ask for. I've had a couple of the workers go out and put my name on the tons I've paid for. Of course you can't demand 6 tons of a brand if they only have 4 in stock because they can't control when or what they will get next. August has generally been the best month to order, they have in the past held early season specials.

Best of luck!

Reactions: ttdberg
I have found that if you are willing to pay a higher price some store will order what you want. You have to buy lots to get this deal and pay up front for order.

Which store is better Lowes or HD?

As far as price they will always be about the same because they are in such close competition. For selection they are pretty much the same as well, at least within a given region. They generally carry 1-2 brands each season, and as other have said, those brands frequently change season to season and sometimes even within a season. If you see a brand you like at the store - better stock up while you can, because chances are when they run out, you may not see them again for a while.

I never had a problem with Stove Chow. A good pellet IMHO.
same here in Bucks County..
bought 2 tons of Chows at our Home depot last winter which burned very HOT . Ash was plentiful but if u vacuum your stove regularly, no biggie.
229.00 ton and since they are a mile away, I picked them up myself and saved delivery charges.

FYI paid 239 per ton plus 65 delivery. That's way up from the 200 per ton I spent at lowes last year, albeit the pellets were garbage, hopefully chows are worth the extra coin.

FYI paid 239 per ton plus 65 delivery. That's way up from the 200 per ton I spent at lowes last year, albeit the pellets were garbage, hopefully chows are worth the extra coin.
you will have no problems with the chows...
as I said, very hot, good price, lot of ash but to many of us, not worth paying close to 300.00 or more per ton just to have less ash to vacuum especially if you are on a regular maint schedule..what's an extra minute or 2 with your head in the stove. But different strokes etc...

Last edited:
yes.. have read that review before...
more interesting is the Comments below the review that totally contradict it...
yes they are ashy but I burned 2 tons last winter and damned if they din't keep us as warm as the Energex Hardwoods..
didn't gunk up the stove etc... damn. I see I'm repeating my self here..::P

Status
Not open for further replies.