How to Ovalize a Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
What is a good way to slightly ovalize a round flex liner? I'm not talking about pinching off the liner or anything, I just need to create a slight oval shape on the entire liner. I know bholler and some other professionals will cringe by this post but I do not have access to get it done professionally, and purchasing an oval liner kit is way expensive.

thank you

If your liner is a Easy Flex liner you can easy field ovalize it. I have received 2 Easy Flex liners the last 2 weeks (1 was by accident) and 1 Heavy Flex liner last night. The Easy Flex is compressed relatively easy by hand although not how I'd do it if doing the whole length of it. Not knowing your resources available.......I'd figure out how compressed I wanted it to be.... say, 5 inches. I would then create a 6ft jig that would not permit it being ovalized beyond 5 inches. I would use my front end loader to do it with maybe a piece of cardboard duct taped to the bucket to soften the compression area. I could pat a babies bottom with my loader, it's that precise. Also you may have to experiment as there maybe some rebound meaning it springs back an inch or so? In which case you'd have to take that into consideration when build a quick and dirty jig. I purchased my Easy Flex liner already ovalized but if you wanted to save a few bucks this is how I'd get it done.

Now if you liner is Heavy Flex......forget about it! It is very flexible but not easily ovalized. Gonna need to pay a pro with the right tools. Heavy flex is worth it by the way.....soooooooo much better, stronger, smoother.

If your liner is a Easy Flex liner you can easy field ovalize it. I have received 2 Easy Flex liners the last 2 weeks (1 was by accident) and 1 Heavy Flex liner last night. The Easy Flex is compressed relatively easy by hand although not how I'd do it if doing the whole length of it. Not knowing your resources available.......I'd figure out how compressed I wanted it to be.... say, 5 inches. I would then create a 6ft jig that would not permit it being ovalized beyond 5 inches. I would use my front end loader to do it with maybe a piece of cardboard duct taped to the bucket to soften the compression area. I could pat a babies bottom with my loader, it's that precise. Also you may have to experiment as there maybe some rebound meaning it springs back an inch or so? In which case you'd have to take that into consideration when build a quick and dirty jig. I purchased my Easy Flex liner already ovalized but if you wanted to save a few bucks this is how I'd get it done.

Now if you liner is Heavy Flex......forget about it! It is very flexible but not easily ovalized. Gonna need to pay a pro with the right tools. Heavy flex is worth it by the way.....soooooooo much better, stronger, smoother.

Thank you for your reply! I don't have a loader but thanks for the suggestion.

I wanted to have a 6.5 inch liner ovalized by Rockford but they wouldn't provide it to me as a kit with a 6.5 round top plate, cap and connector. They wanted me to purchase those separately.

Call Woodlanddirect.com They took care of me and if you call them versus online you can order about anything you want.

If it's completely assembled, (insulation and mesh) you can actually use your feet to give it a slight oval. Lay it flat on a cement floor, brace yourself and gently work your way up and down the liner. Not conventional but it works.
We've done it in a pinch.

Not conventional but it works.
Yeah it works but it gives you a very uneven oval and could lead to buckling in spots. I have seen to many butchered ovalizing jobs to recommend doing it yourself. Dont you guys have an ovalizer? They don't cost that much I have even modified our to make rectangles

Yeah it works but it gives you a very uneven oval and could lead to buckling in spots. I have seen to many butchered ovalizing jobs to recommend doing it yourself. Dont you guys have an ovalizer? They don't cost that much I have even modified our to make rectangles
No, we very rarely need to ovalize. We just order them when we know it will need to be. Our supplier doesn't charge for it.

No, we very rarely need to ovalize. We just order them when we know it will need to be. Our supplier doesn't charge for it.
We rarely do either but many times when we do it is because we cant get the old liners out. So we need it done that day. We have probably only had to do that 5 times but the savings in not having to order new liner then jiggle the schedule around so we can come back easily paid the $800 for the ovalizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.