1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How to power an electric winch off a log splitter.

Post in 'The Gear' started by Pallet Pete, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I have an electric winch sitting in my garage and I am going to fab a lift tray for large rounds using it. I have no interest in a hydrolic lift at this point givin I have everything laying around to use the 2000lb winch. Is it possible to hook a alternator to a Subaru 5 hp motor to keep the batterie charged ?

Pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Same 5hp that's running the pump?
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Yes it will be running a 2 stage 11 gpm SpeeCo pump.

Subaru 5 hp 126cc

Pete
  4. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    You're going to need enough shaft space to slip a pulley on.
    I'm guessing the motor-pump mount will make this impractical - unless the pump is mounted separately
    Not sure there is a way to put another shaft on the flywheel end - custom machine an internally threaded rod to replace the flywheel nut and have a key slot cut to match the pulley.
    And you'd have to consider the rotational direction to prevent the shaft form loosening up.

-Otherwise a piece of cake:)
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Yea maybe I will just bring a couple of horses tied to a rope that might be easier. ;lol

How long will a 75 800 cca auto batterie last tied to a winch ?

Thanks
    Pete
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Solar battery charger would be a heck of a lot easier.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The one I use with my winch powered liftgate on the Suburban lasts a long time loading rounds into the truck. I always run down before the battery does.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  9. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    The B&S adapter I link above actually bolts to holes in the flywheel - so no loosening risk

I only have experience running my ATV winch(much smaller battery) and it doesn't last long without the quad running

Jags has one I believe he may chime in
  10. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    As for the power needed to run the alternator - it's not much
    And assuming you're only using the winch while lifting and stopping before you use the hydros the engine will have negligible windage load from the alternator freewheeling

Just think you could have a fan and radio and lights for nighttime splitting
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Jags has been helping me plan this a lot however I wanted lots of ideas for the batterie I'm not shunning you Jags seriously !

Pete
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

My only issue with buying a new motor is this one runs like a top one pull every time and its fairly quiet. Looking at the extension I could fab one fairly easily for the Subaru. I like BBs idea of a solar charger too. Actually I was debating a two battery bank and just throwing my charger on it the night before I need it but then I know I'll need it and forget to charge it lol.

Pete
  13. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    The holes in the flywheel are there for a puller I believe. The Subaru should have them as well.
    You could probably just drill out a small pulley and double nut it with longer bolts/allthread - keeping it concentric may be difficult though
  14. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

15. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Solar battery chargers are like trickle chargers - mAh range. Maintainers for batteries not in use
    If it sits around for a full week it might recharge a battery.

More practical in a deep cycle trolling boat motor application - something you leave sitting at the dock and run every couple weeks

We have one installed on a portable air compressor at work(emergency-emergency backup) - keeps the battery maintained between it's monthly test starts
    nate379 likes this.
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Well then I guess I will just use my battery charger for now tilli get more ambitious lol.

Pete
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Maybe one half of the engine/pump lovejoy coupler could have a small (3/8") v-belt groove machined into it? Easy job for someone with a lathe.
  18. nate379

nate379 Guest

Can you fit the motor with a stator?

That is what most small engines use that have a battery. They aren't usually super high amperage, but a 25-30 amp stator would charge a winch battery just fine provided you aren't running the thing non stop on long pulls (winch can pull 400-500 amps at full pull)