How to recondition box stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crozier

Sep 4, 2007
I have an older box stove that I would like to recondition. I have used it occasionally for several years. It is a Climax Stove, has 1898 (year built or model number?)stamped on it.

There are open gaps along either side where the side panels meet the base of the stove. These gaps run from front to back and are about 1/8 inch. It looks like the side panels have warped over time and have caused these gaps. Is there some sort of filler I can apply to close up these gaps? Once gaps are filled (if possible), is a stove paste the best way to go to restore finish? Any help is appreciated.

I would dismantle the stove and clean out all old refractory cement, and then try "dry-fitting" the parts back together - If they are warped enough not to fit, REPLACE THE STOVE! This is a box that holds FIRE, and is emphatically not something that you want to attempt doing improvised repairs on! IF and ONLY IF you can get the parts to fit together properly, you should then glue them together with refractory cement. For restoring the finish, I'd probably try to get the unit sand blasted or wire wheel it to get the old finish off, and then paint it with high temp stove enamel (Stove Bright is a brand I've found seems to work pretty well)

In general, you are probably better off spending your money on a modern era, EPA-II approved stove that will be safe, burn cleaner, and give you more heat from your wood.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.