How to reduce junk mail sent to me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I know how to get on the do-not-call list (although probably need to renew my registration) but how do I reduce the junk mail? I thought I got on some 'no junk mail' list before but it seems to have started back up again and I get waaayy too much now. I have a junk mail shredder and I'm feeding it all the time.

I think you can contact the Direct Marketers Association:
https://www.dmachoice.org/MPS/mps_consumer_description.php

If you want to get rid of as much junk mail as possible, sign up for gmail....you can also use it to collect email from your existing accounts and make it all spam free.

I was talking about snail mail. Thanks Craig.

I used their prepaid envelope with whatever application had my name on it and would write in big letters, "STOP SENDING ME THIS CRAP!" It worked for me and felt good.

I'll tell you what I do with my junk mail, heat my house with it! Every piece of junk mail goes directly into the wood stove, where it belongs.

derwood said:
I used their prepaid envelope with whatever application had my name on it and would write in big letters, "STOP SENDING ME THIS CRAP!" It worked for me and felt good.

Good Idea, I will try it.

Also, Bank of America keeps sending me checks and transfer offers, about 1 a week. I emailed their customer service and requested them to stop sending this crap. They said OK, and it stopped. I have a BOA credit card.

If you send a CERTIFIED letter to each of the three credit reporting agencies, asking them to freeze your credit (i.e. not let any new credit be issued, and not let any credit reports out, even your credit score to anyone, the companies who continually send you offers of new credit cards will stop sending you mail, because they won't get your name on the list ......

This is what "Life lock" does for ten bucks a month, but you can do it yourself for free. You do have to send these letters once a year, and you do have to pay for 3 certified letters, but hey, lots cheaper than 120 bucks annually.

Perhaps someone else here can tell you the name of the three companies. One of them is equifax. Can't remember the other two just now.

I forgot to mention that within the certified letter you need to include your social security number and your signature on the request. The credit reporting agencies need this to identify you.

Status
Not open for further replies.