How to remedy a worn spur sprocket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
Best not this way....I got a Poulan 1800 Super off CL. Came with 2 chains. The chain wouldn't turn well - grabby. I look closer and sprocket is worn out. When the sprocket wore so much that the proper 52 DL chain could not be tightened...he put on a 50 DL chain.
Time for a new sprocket.

Poulan 1800 super sprocket.jpg

Wow! Hard to believe it worked at all. Assuming it's held captive on the crank by the clutch, you'll need a clutch removal tool and replacement spur sprocket/drum & bearing. You might want to get replacement washers- hard to check their condition with clutch in place. Some of the washers are dished and specific to that model saw.

Might be a good idea to see if you can get a combo drum&rim clutch. Can't hurt. Get a spare drive rim with it. Saves unnecessary drum changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: dougand3
Yeah, I'd rather have a rim but they are scarce. I finally got a Poulan clutch tool....Got tired of putting saw in corner, hold feet against it, keep a long screwdriver on clutch as you whack it. LOL

I made a nylon plug to replaced the spark plug to hold the piston a bit before tdc

Reactions: dougand3
Nylon plug is a good idea. I use rope but you need to start piston 3/4 of way up or you can get rope caught in the exhaust port.

Reactions: CTYank
Hold the piston as far down as possible just above ports.
As it approaches TDC the angle of rod to crank approaches a straight line. It acts like s toggle linkage on a vise grips. It takes very high forces to resist the torque of turning the clutch tool. Those high forces can bend rod or punch hole in top of piston where piston stop contacts it.

Hold the piston as far down as possible just above ports.
As it approaches TDC the angle of rod to crank approaches a straight line. It acts like s toggle linkage on a vise grips. It takes very high forces to resist the torque of turning the clutch tool. Those high forces can bend rod or punch hole in top of piston where piston stop contacts it.
This ^^^

Near TDC the linear force on the piston is very large, you want to get as far away from TDC as you can...

That being said, the best way to remove clutch is with an impact gun. I've successfully removed the clutch on my saw using nothing more than an impact-driver meant for driving screwing (not an impact gun meant for loosening bolts etc). Of course, if you have an actual impact gun that is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.