How to remove a stripped screw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Just found out my new stove is already going to be here tomorrow morning so started taking out the old one this morning and found that the installer stripped out the head of one of the Phillips head screws that has to come out before I can take the soapstone sides off.

I used to know how to do this but old age is taking it's toll. How do I get it out?

Drill a small pilot hole in the stripped screw. Then use a "screw extractor" - tapered bit with ridges that bite into screw and will back it out - counter clockwise

Or just use a drill bit a little smaller than the screw head and drill down to the shank of the screw. The head will be easy to pop off of the screw and then after you take the soapstone off use a pair of pliers to unscrew the shank.

Thanks. It is a recessed screw holding in the draft reducer so I will need to go with the extractor in case both the bracket and reducer are threaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.