How to remove an old boiler furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
We are no longer using our 1978 Riteway boiler and I would like to get it out of our basement. I've been told that the steel plating can be removed to expose the boiler but I don't know where to begin. I don't have a cutting torch. It looks like there are rods running through it and all of the seems appear to be welded. I haven't tried beating on them with a sledge hammer since I don't know if they are made to be removed.

Other than C4 or high explosives, any ideas for how to get this beast out of my basement?

Attachments

• old furnace.jpg
    old furnace.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 441
Put ad add on C List, the local scrappers will comes and get it, worth some $$ to them.

there is a very high probability the insulation is asbestos containing
when you get it exposed have a piece tested before proceeding
not a good material to disturb

ironpony said:
there is a very high probability the insulation is asbestos containing
when you get it exposed have a piece tested before proceeding
not a good material to disturb

Make sure of this. Even if its not asbestos you want to be careful.

I've busted up a couple with a sledge. Others I broke down with a sawzall. Pretty basic. Kinda fun. It ain't worth much. Not worth the trouble to pull it out of a basement for a scrapper.

Trust me, put it on C List for free and someone will want it.

I swear I could put a 55gal drum of dog chit on there and someone would be calling to pick it up in the next 30 mins!

Thanks for the suggestions. Having someone else remove it for scrap sounds better than trying to remove it myself. I have a switch from the unit with a small amount of mercury in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.