How to remove old carpet from under wood stove and hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl70x7

Mar 13, 2016
Washington
Hello! I'm wanting to get rid of my old carpet and put wood flooring instead. The hearth pad is over the carpet in a corner of the room. It is fan shaped, with straight sides facing each wall, and the front that faces out into the room has a scalloped edge rather than straight. The carpet could be ripped out from under it in pieces, and perhaps slipping strips of laminate under it before all the carpet is removed from under it is the answer? The carpet and carpet pad might be between a half inch and an inch high. If the hearth pad was a straight edged square or rectangle I would just leave the old carpet underneath and run the new wood flooring up to the edge of the hearth pad. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Remove the stove and hearthpad temporarily and replace after the flooring has been installed and finished.

Reactions: Heftiger
Hello! I'm wanting to get rid of my old carpet and put wood flooring instead. The hearth pad and wood stove is over the carpet in a corner of the room. It is fan shaped, with straight sides facing each wall, and the front that faces out into the room has a scalloped edge rather than straight. The carpet could be ripped out from under it in pieces, and perhaps slipping strips of laminate under it before all the carpet is removed from under it is the answer? The carpet and carpet pad might be between a half inch and an inch high. If the hearth pad was a straight edged square or rectangle I would just leave the old carpet underneath and run the new wood flooring up to the edge of the hearth pad. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Remove the stove and hearthpad temporarily and replace after the flooring has been installed and finished.
I could not do that by myself. The stove is bolted through the floor under the house as per manufactured home rules with a box going under the stove through the floor as well for air circulation. ( Don't know what that's called).

It would cost more than I could afford to pay someone to come remove it and then replace it again. Guess i will just have to keep the old carpet for now then.

OK, sounds like you would need a chimney sweep to do this. Before assuming it will cost too much get a quote. Someone might want to pick up this work as an off-season job.

The alternative is to cut the carpet tight to the hearth pad and remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.