How to replace damper gasket VC encore 1450 NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truk

Jul 24, 2016
union sc
I've had this VC Encore 1450 NC for 11 years and have never replaced the damper gasket. Now that I finally decided to do so I can't figure out how to actually get to it. It doesn't seem possible to get in through the back, the stovepipe is right there in the way. I removed 4 bolts and tried to get the damper housing out through the inside of the stove but the damper handle linkage seems to be stuck in there.

And as a second question look at the picture I attached (see the red arrow). It looks like the damper door, or the damper housing one or the other has warped. Or do they come with a little space there for a reason?

Thanks, Truk

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
It looks like your damper frame has warped. Not uncommon for this stove, I wouldn't bother replacing it yet.
To remove the damper housing im pretty sure all the fireback pieces have to come out first. I can't really remember for sure, typically if these stoves need a gasket they need a full rebuild. I'm taking it all out anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.