How to replace firebrick in Suburban

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chicadee51

Sep 13, 2008
Central NY
How do I replace the firebrick in a Suburban wood heat stove? There is a gutter on the top and the bottom of the row of bricks and I can't see how to remove and replace the cracked and broken ones easily. Do you have to take the outside cover off and unscrew the nuts to lift off the top gutter? I hope it not that hard! Thanks!

With our Suburban, you need to take the "skin" off the firebox to replace the bricks. unscrew all the sheetmetal scres around the top and remove the piece of sheetmetal. On each side you will see 3 screws with large flatwashers under them. you will need to remove these screws (careful, i broke two getting them out of mine) and it will release the "bar/channel" inside that holds the top part of the brick against the firebox. *note* My Suburban is almost 30 years old and had a hole in the back lower section of the firebox where the ash pan rests against it. Be sure to inspect visually all of the firebox you can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.