How to Replace Gen. Shut Off Valve Plugged into Plastic Gas Tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I started a generator yesterday and the shut off valve leaked, externally. The plastic valve, is somehow plugged into the bottom of the plastic gas tank. Does anyone have any experience in replacing it? First I'd have to find one of course.

Can't help you with the replacement, but one of mine leaks a bit if it's been shut off a while. It soon stops leaking, as if the seal dried out, then expanded when the gas hit it. Yours just might, too.

I just replaced one of that type on a riding mower. It was an inexpensive item at a local tractor supply store. pops out and pops back in if I recall.

I'm going to bet it looks like this:

Generatorvalve_zpseeb91d68.jpg

This is the parts diagram from my Craftsman/Generac 4200W. The valve (47) plugs into the rubber grommet (48) which plugs into the hole in the bottom of the tank. The annoying thing about this is that vibration eventually wears a hole in the rubber grommet causing a leak, which is likely the problem with yours. In order to get the valve or the grommet, Sears makes you order them as a set for about $15.

Reactions: MasterMech
I'm going to bet it looks like this:

Generatorvalve_zpseeb91d68.jpg

This is the parts diagram from my Craftsman/Generac 4200W. The valve (47) plugs into the rubber grommet (48) which plugs into the hole in the bottom of the tank. The annoying thing about this is that vibration eventually wears a hole in the rubber grommet causing a leak, which is likely the problem with yours. In order to get the valve or the grommet, Sears makes you order them as a set for about $15.

Screw Sears then. You should get out of any small engine shop with the grommet and valve for about $5.

Thanks. The leak does appear to come from the valve but slowed. It's not exactly in a great spot to have a gas leak though, then what is. I have to pull it out I guess. It's a backup to another generator. Darn ethanol, I guess.

In a followup by the world's slowest moving person, me, I just ordered a valve off eBay for $8.85. I'll post results.

Replaced the valve on my DeVilbiss two years ago. Just insert the grommet and poke the valve into it and done.

Last edited:
Although way off from Irma's track, my thoughts turned to generators this morning.
I had totally forgotten that I had done this! Maybe I'll actually start it up!
Good thing for life documentation on hearth.com !