How to replace/reinstall gas tube properly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hervvo

Jan 22, 2021
Hi there! We live in a rental house with a match lit gas fireplace. I've watched videos online explaining how to install a system like this, and when I look at how this was installed it seems maybe it was installed incorrectly. Firstly, the burner and pan are far off to the right rather than being centered in the fireplace. It seems this is the case because the gas fitting tube has been coiled instead of bent into a U shape, which would have allowed the pan to be more centered.

I don't know what kind of fitting tube this is, or what kind of connectors it's using. I would assume I'd need to buy a new tube to do a reinstallation.

My husband and I would like to fix it so the pan and burner are centered. Any guidance or tips on how to uninstall and reinstall in this situation?

IMG_20210122_195042.jpg IMG_20210122_194912.jpg

Hi there! We live in a rental house with a match lit gas fireplace. I've watched videos online explaining how to install a system like this, and when I look at how this was installed it seems maybe it was installed incorrectly. Firstly, the burner and pan are far off to the right rather than being centered in the fireplace. It seems this is the case because the gas fitting tube has been coiled instead of bent into a U shape, which would have allowed the pan to be more centered.

I don't know what kind of fitting tube this is, or what kind of connectors it's using. I would assume I'd need to buy a new tube to do a reinstallation.

My husband and I would like to fix it so the pan and burner are centered. Any guidance or tips on how to uninstall and reinstall in this situation?

View attachment 299096 View attachment 299097
You should be able to have a gas fitter make a better connection and bring the burner pan over to the left some.
Until then, I would not use it with the log grate in that position. It is causing impingement on the logs which is causing all that soot.

The connection between the stub penetrating the firebox and the burner is usually made with corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST), and eyeballing yours, I'd guess it to be 3/8" ID / 1/2" OD. You can buy a new connector just about anywhere, even amazon, just make sure it's an uncoated assembly, like this:

Amazon product ASIN B00UAD1YLG
You won't need the NPT adapters that come with many of these appliance connector CSST assemblies, as you already have the adaptors on your stub and burner.

Unfortunately, your stub is penetrating the fireplace right where your burner wants to be, but it may be possible to position the burner a bit more fore or aft of the pipe stub, so they don't collide. You'll have to check the manual for your log set, most are installed with the rack touching the back wall, and then the burner positioned with the front of the pan near the front of the log set, or the back under the middle of the log rack. If you can't avoid collision while achieving this, I'd just scoot the entire assembly forward 2", assuming it's not pushing you forward of the lintel on the fireplace.