How to 'revive' a flat, leaking door rope?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Dec 30, 2014
Eastern PA
Hi All -

I have a 2-year old Quadra-Fire 4100i ACC insert. We only use the unit on weekends (1, 'maybe' 2 fires the most) just to take off the chill in the Family Room, and only during DEC - FEB.

I seem to have an issue with a slight air leak coming in from the latch side. How do I know?:
===========================================
1). Glass near the latch is not getting cleaned by the airwash.
2). I'm seeing a change in the flames - they are now being drawn towards the latch corner and up instead of exhibiting the classic 'rolling' flames towards the door like I used to get. Definitely getting a strong up-draft in that corner.
3). I've performed the 'dollar bill' test and, with minor effort, can pull out the bill from only the latch side.

Now, I've examined the Door Rope, and it's in PERFECT condition. No gaps, tears, loose pieces, frays, etc.
It appears that it has just 'flattened' out over time and therefore not creating a good seal at the latch. I've attempted to tighten down the Door Latch Adjustment Screw, but it's down all the way and won't turn anymore (I suspect the installer over-tightened it when he installed it.)

Is there a way to 'revive' the rope so that it seals better? I'd hate to have to go through the expense and effort of replacing the entire Door Rope on a practically still-new wood stove insert. -jtg

You can get an o-ring pick, or similar tool and try to 'fluff it up' but gasket material is so cheap its probably just time to replace it. Those really are considered consumable items that need to be replaced every few years. If you do some searches on here i'm sure there will be a few tips and tricks that should help you get it done in only a few minutes.

Is there an adjustment for the latch? Some stoves do some don't. Can do a dollar bill test as well to check the gasket.

Oops just saw you already tried tightening the latch...carry on.

Last edited:
I very gently squeeze mine from the sides once I notice the door getting a little easy to shut. It helps to form it back into a more rounded shape. I do it about once a month when I think about it.

at $1-2 per foot plus $5 for cement, I would replace rather than fluff. Maybe when you do, beef it up a little at the trouble spot by squishing the gasket in a little (compressing?)

Thanks Guys! I tried the 'fluff' suggestion, and that worked great! (I also backed off on the Latch Adj. Screw a few turns since Installer had it cinched down all the way.)
Anyway, ran another fire to test and Glass remained perfectly clear. I also noticed that the flames are now 'rolling' down the glass more and not trying to exit via the upper-right (latch side) of the stove.
Still more work to do. I have to replace the Ceramic Blanket - I originally bought a 1" roll, but turns out the stove only takes 1/2" - I split the 1" piece, but it's not a uniform thickness, and I think I cut the width about an 1" too short.
I'm still not able to get the Stove up to 550 like I used to when it was new with this split piece. (Got the proper 1/2" roll today.)

I made myself a note to replace the Door gasket once Spring comes. Hopefully the 'fluff' trick will hold me till then. I'll keep you posted on how the new 1/2" Ceramic Blanket works out (hopefully I'll get more heat out of the Stove.)
-jtg

Reactions: Merc1973
Hi from over the pond
I 'fluff up' my door gasket occasionally using the slim nozzle on the vacuum cleaner.
Works for me.

Merry Christmas to all.

Billy.

When you do replace the gasket, wear nitrile goves, and get Susie Homemaker busy getting the old glue out of the channel. I had one obsolete stove I couldn't get the right sized rope for and had to replace that gasket about every 8 weeks. I got pretty good at pulling the old cement with a flat bladed screwdriver, followed with an emery board. Then some isopropyl alcohol on a rag, let it dry and your ready for new glue.

You already got the door square to the face so the gasket is squeezed to uniform thickness all around sounds like, that helped me a lot; mine had been previously overtightened as well.

Reactions: Merc1973
Status
Not open for further replies.