How to route chimney in a cape-cod style house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad price fully installed. The Cumberland Gap is a discontinued model and you should be getting some price break. Mention this to dealer. It is a very nice stove, similar to the Jotul Oslo. The difference being that the Cumberland Gap is a castiron-jacketed, steel stove, but still a side-loader. The CG had been replaced by the Explorer II this year. It's too early to tell how this stove will work out, but Quad generally makes good product.

PS: Is the CG you are looking at painted or enameled?

Last edited:
It's just black, so I'm assuming painted. I still think the guy that quoted me definitely underestimated the amount of pipe he'd need, since considering the peak of the roof, it'd need to be at least 12 feet above the roof to be 2 feet above the nearest point within a 10 ft horizontal plane.

Also, he said the stove was originally $2600, so that's already the discount since it's his only one left in stock. I do see them a good amount cheaper online though, around $2000.

After all this, I'm definitely building my next house with a chimney right in the middle of an open kitchen/dining room/living room combo.

His stove price seems high, especially for a discontinued model. The painted version sold for about $2400 IIRC. Ask him for an Explorer II price. It should only be $2460 or so.

well, with the quadrafire $100 coupon the installed price with tax is at $3500. It should be installed either Friday or Monday, so ill throw a pic up of how they did it. It's actually in the corner of the house where they figured to be the best spot. He is using duravent stainless double wall, and double wall black stove pipe. I'm still unsure how he's planning to support the 13 or so feet of pipe.

He also seemed to say the double wall was better than the triple wall, maybe just because its easier to fit through places. Because I already have 21ft of duraplus triple wall, but he didn't want to use it. (which is 10" diameter, with the first gap filled with wrapped insulation). For the sake of my curiousity, why might the double wall be better? Thicker insulation or what?

thanks for answering my questions. I'm really excited to get this thing going for Christmas.

Well, here it is. Took about 3.5 hours, but he didn't have the chimney cap yet, he said he'd install it when it came in Monday. The stove pipe only sticks about 5 feet through the roof, and doesn't have the imaginary 10 ft of clearance around the nearest point. He said as long as the draft isn't a problem, it isn't necessary. He said another 3 feet and support bracket could also be added if we want. We've had it running a few hours today and it works great and looks awesome.

wood stove exterior.JPG wood stove interior.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good looking stove. Per pipe, code is pretty clear on this topic. Both your stove and the piping manual say 10ft from the nearest structure. I'd add the pipe and a brace, especially if there is <14 ft chimney on the stove. Didn't know this was going to be a corner install or I would have recommended some different stoves. The CG will work fine, but the side door is supposed to be locked in a corner install.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, we were talking about this since it was installed and will just get another 5 foot section and brace to put on. It does specifically say in the stove manufacturer book that it is a safety requirement. It's not much money and will be by the book then. Yeah, we ended up having the stove out from the corner quite a bit, so we have a lot of clearance to the nearest combustibles as required in the manual.

WP_20150111_15_13_01_Pro.jpg
Well, it finally got completed about a week ago. I had a buddy come with his bucket truck since it was snowy/icy. We now have a total of about 20' of chimney from the stovetop to the cap. The months been pretty cold, with probably having lows from -5 to 10 and highs from 10-30s. We burned most of the pallets I cut right when I got the stove and just restocked with more pallet wood yesterday for another few weeks. We're just hoping to burn pallets the rest of this winter so we don't have to buy any, but may get one cord delivered.

Also got about 2 cords of mostly red oak with some maple cut, split and stored for next year.

As far as burn time, with good seasoned hardwoods I was getting a maximum time of about 6 hours. Re-filling during the night was required. Any ideas to help with burn time? I would fill the stove with split wood, but only ~6-8" rounds seemed to last long. Once the wood is lit for about 15 minutes, I close the air control all the way. When we refill, it is just coals. Sound about right for the conditions?

The pallets have been good, just a pain to cut up. They do get a pretty decent burn time though for what they are. It keeps the house a heck of a lot warmer than our electric heaters did too. Can't wait for the next electric bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.