How to safely install basement insulation around stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
We just purchased a home last year with a cinder block wall/concrete floor unfinished basement. It also came with an old Fisher woodstove in the basement that I plan to replace with a smaller more efficient stove at some point. Last winter I learned that it is pointless to try and heat the basement with the stove since the block walls are not insulated.

We are about to start a basement finishing project down there where I will insulate the walls with rigid foam and install drywall on the foam using furring strips.

What do I need to do in the area where the stove pipe enters the chimney through a thimble in the existing block wall. As shown in the photos, I know I will need to move the stove further into the room (away from the new wall). What type of insulation can I install in the vicinity of the stove pipe? Any advice or website links would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,288
as a standard , thats single wall pipe , clearance to any combustible is 18 inches. faced fiberglass insulation being combustible in most cases would need to have that clearance. not to mention if you intend to stud the wall the studs would have to meet the same clearance of 18 inches.

I wonder if you might be better off not putting insulation immediately behind the stove and around the pipe exit. Rather perhaps cover that surface with non-combustable decorative materials such as tile, rock, brick, etc to bring it out far enough to be pleasing to the eye when next to the insulated walls. For example, if you stud out the walls and cover them with sheetrock (allowing for batting between studs) then you would have about 3.5(studs)+.5(sheetrock)=4" to play with - you could use full bricks for that perhaps? then you could make the appearance of a more traditional chimney/hearth around where the stove is sitting, and keep it closer to the wall.

Rest of basement will of course be well insulated so the small section you are leaving less than ideally insulated likely won't hurt your heating profile too much...

Since the stove will be close to this wall, I'd want that area insulated if at all possible. I'd probably pull the stove out a little and use double wall pipe. Pack the thimble with rock wool. I'd create a 'safe' area behind the stove, probably about 6' wide so I could sleep better at night. I'd use steel studs behind the stove and insulate that area with unfaced (nonflammable) fiberglass. I'd cover it with cement board and apply some type tile or slate over it. Nothing flammable in this area.

The existing 8" single wall pipe fits nicely into the existing wall thimble. How will the triple wall class A pipe connect to the thimble? I like the Class A idea as it seams it has a 2" clearance from combustibles.

Thanks.

zanp said:
The existing 8" single wall pipe fits nicely into the existing wall thimble. How will the triple wall class A pipe connect to the thimble? I like the Class A idea as it seams it has a 2" clearance from combustibles.

Thanks.

class a wont cleanly(wont at all) connect to the interior of the existing thimble

ya can't use class A and why would you use class A to go through a cinder block wall 18" clearance to the pipe 36" to the stove cultured stone has some R value, is non flammable and looks good

ICC makes an insulated thru wall connector that will sleeve into your existing thimble, and alow you to go to dw or sw pipe to the stove.. this peice is made for connections such as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.