How to seal wall around vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike22

Feb 27, 2014
Pa
i have a direct vent gas fireplace. The vent goes through the plywood wall but the hole in the playwood is an inch or two bigger than the pipe so there's a gap. We've been having mice get in our house in that area. How can I seal around the gap? The fireplace was installed when we bought the house and I think it was a DIY job so that's probably why there's the gap. Is it something I can fix myself? I have to do something keep the mice out. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3628.JPG
    IMG_3628.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 222
There is a component called a wall thimble that is missing. The plywood around your vent needs on" clearance on the sides & the bottom & a 2"
clearance on the top. Go to your local hearthshop or look on line for the correct component. It is of a two piece construction & will require disassembly of some of your venting, along with enlarging the existing hole & some additional framing. Once that is installed that gap will be reduced to less than 1/4" on all sides. You can seal that with RTV silicone or adhesive-backed tape gasketing.

There is a component called a wall thimble that is missing. The plywood around your vent needs on" clearance on the sides & the bottom & a 2"
clearance on the top. Go to your local hearthshop or look on line for the correct component. It is of a two piece construction & will require disassembly of some of your venting, along with enlarging the existing hole & some additional framing. Once that is installed that gap will be reduced to less than 1/4" on all sides. You can seal that with RTV silicone or adhesive-backed tape gasketing.

Thanks. I will look into the thimble. Instead, only because it's cheaper and easier to do, would I be able to stucco the outside of the house all the way up to the pipe (it's a double vent pipe s a smaller pipe in a larger one when I took it apart)? If that's not safe though or wouldn't work I keep the mice out I'll get the thimble part you're talking about. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.