How to shim the back of a insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
I got the Buck Model 21 installed yesterday, but we need to shim the back of the stove by about a half inch because the firebox is a tad lower than the hearth.

I was thinking about using 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick square steel tubing, and cut it to 1/2" length and lay it on it's side and set the insert on it. http://www.yalesteel.net/servlet/the-956/STEEL-SQUARE-TUBE-TUBING/Detail Will that work and support the weight and tolerate the heat?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

sounds like a lot of work to cit the tubing. maybe just some 1/2 thk bar stock or even 1/4 thk and double it up.

I think the 21 can take a leg kit and be used as a free standing stove as well. If so, it's got pre-threaded holes in the bottom. You could simply thread on a couple bolts and lay down a scrap of sheet metal to slide the bolt heads on so it doesn't dig into the firebox. I'd put some nuts on the bolts first so you can tighten them against the stove bottom to keep the height you want during maneuvering.

Thanks, I never thought about that....

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.