Q&A How to start a wood fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: How to start a wood fire I enjoyed reading your story on how to start a fire. I'm glad there are many fellow pyro brothers amongst us.

My question is, how old can wood get before you can no longer burn it well? I moved into a house that had some old firewood. Some of the wood even has fungus growing on it. How long, on average, should one keep cut wood before it becomes useless in a fireplace?

Answer:

Good question....depends on the species and the conditions. In general, if a large part or the log becomes punky (rotted)....over 30% or so, then it might be time to toss it into the forest to become complete compost!

In my experience with oak here in NJ, it's about three years if the wood is left outside and gets wet and then dry. If the wood is stored in a woodshed it might last longer.

Wood that is too dry may burn too fast. Also, rotted wood can pick up more insects and other critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.