how to stop draft from unused pellet stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmei007

Nov 12, 2007
Boston MA
My pellet stove is an insert with exhaust and inlet inliners all the way up to the chimney top. we didn't use it this year. I can feel strong draft from where it is. How can I stop the draft or make it lose less heat when it is not in use?

Stuff the area where your old fireplace damper is/was with insulation and then seal it with thin piece/s of sheet metal fashioned with holes so you can run your exhaust/air inlet pipes through it. That is, you're creating a damper of sorts that seals the space and you place insulation above it. Good luck.

Yes, we sealed the gaps between the steel pipes and the chimney. I think most of the draft is from the steel pipes, exhaust pipe and air inlet pipe, which are connected with outside.

If your insert has a damper on it, close the damper that should at least greatly reduce any air flow and hence cooling of the stoves pipes.

When you have a chance please take a picture looking up at the block off job you did and post it along with a description of how the block off was done.

mrjohneel said:
Stuff the area where your old fireplace damper is/was with insulation and then seal it with thin piece/s of sheet metal fashioned with holes so you can run your exhaust/air inlet pipes through it. That is, you're creating a damper of sorts that seals the space and you place insulation above it. Good luck.
its called a damper cut-off or damper plate. Use fire wool as an insulator not fiberglass and it should be 4 inches thick

petemal said:
you could always turn it on.........................................

That is what I was thinking...

Bill

petemal said:

Good idea.

how about summer? the hot air come in and condensate inside the stove body.

I am mainly concern the air (cold or warm) come in through the steel exhaust and air inlet pipes.

lmei007 said:
petemal said:

Good idea.

how about summer? the hot air come in and condensate inside the stove body.

I am mainly concern the air (cold or warm) come in through the steel exhaust and air inlet pipes.

If you have a easy to move insert and a quick disconnect, you can also plug both of the pipes. Just be certain to leave yourself a note where you can't miss it.

SmokeyTheBear said:
If you have a easy to move insert and a quick disconnect, you can also plug both of the pipes. Just be certain to leave yourself a note where you can't miss it.

This was what I was thinking this afternoon. i don't think there is a perfect way for this.

I had a bone marrow transplant and cannot use my pellet insert for a year. Can I get detailed helpful information regarding how to stop the draft?
As long as you have an outside air kit the stove is a closed loop. The draft is coming from the chimney, a 4-6 inch thick block off with Roxul should eliminate the draft. I would do 2 layers, a looser layer above a tightly packed around the pipes layer.

As long as you have an outside air kit the stove is a closed loop. The draft is coming from the chimney, a 4-6 inch thick block off with Roxul should eliminate the draft. I would do 2 layers, a looser layer above a tightly packed around the pipes layer.
Thanks so much for the helpful information! That'll get me through the winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.