how to tackle this tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
a buddy of mine has gained access to clear a neighbors large backyard of storm damaged trees. the two that i want are both split in the trunk and stuck in other trees. i think they're oak. everything's covered in snow, so i can't tell if there is a path to the back or better, a way to get a truck back there. assuming there is no vehicular access and we have to drop it with saws, how should we go about this? here's a pic of the trees. i didn't measure so i can't tell you how big they are. not huge but probably a middle-age/younger trees.

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 857
Of course pictures can distort perspectives some, but WTH.
What I'd do:
Starting with the one in the background, cut back the pieces sticking out there, to the stump. Load the wood & clear that area.
With the near one, notch it to fall away from the camera position. Fell it with wedges.
Doesn't look like the leaning bits are exerting much lateral force. But, if you have chains & cable winch handy, use them.

here's another pic with my friend in there to add a size reference. he's probably 5'8" or so. i wish we could get in there with ropes and a winch from the street even, but it's a large house and the tree is way back there. we were even thinking pulleys since there are plenty of sturdy trees to use. if not to pull the trees down, then to drag them closer to the road to cut em up.

Attachments

• split2.jpg
    split2.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 828
Throw line, bull rope, re direct block set up & a come a long. Wrap the split one tight with a heavy ratchet strap to minimize the barber chair cut, wedge, & run when she cracks. Just a couple thoughts. A C

I'd work on the tops of both & work back toward the trunk. Gravity got it that far.
Watch for signs of stored energy stress as you go & work back as far as you can safely reach with the saw.
Once you find out which way it's stressed, then work a plan with the known stresses in you favor.
Get the one that already "barber chaired" first. It'll give you more room to work on the other one,
Good luck.

be extremely careful when you cut those hangers. If it were me, I would look for a portable winch if you can get one, and use another tree and sling as an anchor point to try and pull them down.. watch cutting from the top down on them, just take your time. Most importantly, spend some time (heck spend a day) if you need to, to figure out exactly what you want to do. Make a plan and take your time. Goofy things happen when you are cutting hangers and splitoffs like that, so expect the unexpected. And WEAR SAFETY GEAR....be careful, and give us some pics when yer done.......

If this is for free firewood, run, don't walk from this scrounge, while you still can!

I would do as BogeyDave says and work from the tops back toward the base. That way you are removing only a little bit of weight with each cut and you are less likely to be surprised by a sudden movement of the tree. That wood is under a lot of tension and I think it will move at some point in the cutting. Stand clear as much as possible while you are cutting and keep your eyes open.

I would say that if you cut the bent, split part of the tree it will definitely and violently spring in one direction or another.

I really hate to give that advice without being there and especially to someone who has not had much experience with cutting those things. Things sometimes happen and when they happen, it is super fast.

Backwoods Savage said:
I really hate to give that advice without being there and especially to someone who has not had much experience with cutting those things. Things sometimes happen and when they happen, it is super fast.

That's my first thought.

The first picture makes me want to say throw a rope on it and pull with a tractor (or whatever you have) or come-along from a safe distance.

A later picture makes me want to say that, after very careful examination, I might (emphasis on might) make stress relieving cuts (there is a technique for this) on the spring loaded splits with my powered pole saw. Those cuts can also help with yanking the splits down. Still, it's likely that safety issues would likely force me to rope and yank it down from a safe distance.

toonces said:
a buddy of mine has gained access to clear a neighbors large backyard of storm damaged trees. the two that i want are both split in the trunk and stuck in other trees. i think they're oak. everything's covered in snow, so i can't tell if there is a path to the back or better, a way to get a truck back there. assuming there is no vehicular access and we have to drop it with saws, how should we go about this? here's a pic of the trees. i didn't measure so i can't tell you how big they are. not huge but probably a middle-age/younger trees.

bogydave has given the safest advice. Cutting at or near the trunk is dangerous and where things are loaded up. When something lets go, it will happens fast.

The best plan is usually to cut with a friend. Especially in this case.
There can be a tremendous amount of energy stored at the lower
part of those trees just waiting to snap.Proceed thoughtfully if you think
you need to cut those.

tie a chain onto what has fallen. put a 3/4 ton truck loaded with some wood in 4x4 low range and stomp the gas. 8,000 lb truck tugging on it should free that broken out part. Then just cut the snag like a regular tree.

at least thats what I would do.

If you can't pull it down with a vehicle of some kind, I wouldn't take the risk. You're talking about a cord all said and done? So would you stand next to an old silo and and knock it down with a sledge hammer for $150? What's the difference?

It's not worth it.....and there's the right (safe) way to do it. Go buy some long ropes if you need to, though there's your $100 right there. :)

yeah. if we can't do this safely and reasonably, then we'll let the home owners call a tree service. i'm sure they'd ask them to leave the wood so it's probably a better plan anyway. just have to wait til spring to get it split.

Status
Not open for further replies.