How to tame a lame neighbor!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
Ok, I gotta ask this, I can't be the only guy with a hissy fit neighbor concerning my wood piles, woodburning etiquette, etc etc. As I have posted alot about my neighbor, How many others have to deal with a walkoff from the wizard of oz, witch, munchkin etc etc..neighbor???? I have bent over backwards(notice I didn't say frontwards) for this hag, and all I get is grief, should I install a hidden pet fence ...darn i'd have to coller her, or electric fence, or start pricing lumber for a 12 foot high wall!

Complainer Extrodinair! My neighbor has been in her house since it was built- circa 1959. I purchased my property from my sister-in-law. (formerly Mother and Father inlaws). I guess I inherited a long lasting fued left over from my inlaws. So, everything I do outside now is questioned, nagged about from the neighbor. I had a surveyor, assesment done when I was getting the mortgage, her garden was on my side, I nonchalantly said something to her like ain't that on our side? Damn-first mistake. Ongoing grief from then on..... almost forgot, the wood situation, she thinks my woodpile located near her property attracts undesirables, mice, ants etc etc I been using it to seperate the property. the tarps look terrible she says, on and on....

How big of a fence can you put up in you'r area? I would put up a 6'or a 8' fence along the prorerty line. If you have tried to be nice thats what I would do.

Tell the old groan to shove it up her ass

Complain to her whenever she tends the garden in that awefull housecoat of hers.

I had a similar situation at my last house, but the neighbor did one better - she put up the fence.

I like the "tall fences make good neighbors" philosophy.

Steve

Fellas:

Not only is "tall fences make good neighbors" nonsense, it contradicts common sense and good judgement.

When she approaches you in a sweatty broth ravin' about yur stuff, thank her for telling you how she feels (be nice).

When she screams insults about your Mother and previous family members, mention you can tell she comes from good stock (be respectful).

When you she runs out of her house in a robe, curlers in her hair and unshaven underarms, tell her she reminds you of your first sweetheart (be friendly, and wink).

When she flips you off and gives you the bird, give her some flowers (shower her with gifts).

When she dowses your entire woodpile with gasoline and torches it, roast a weenie and thank her for providing the fire and offer her one of your weenies ;-) (show her your generosity and appreciation).

What can I say. It's worked for me.

Aye,
Marty

Grandma used to say "We gain our desires not through seizure but affinity."

Unfortunately, I have already come to the conclusion people suck big time. I would simply ignore her and let them pay for any modifications necessary to fix her problem. If they threaten you any harm make sure you file a police report. If they do it again obtain a restraining order.

I've had my share of PITA neighbors. Luckily the old guy (75 yo) next door to me is very cool. Hope he lives another 25 yrs.

As long as you are not violating any covenents, codes, etc... just ignore her. I mean come on...are you going to really stress over an unhappy old woman? If it's just having to listen to her complain, and she's not having the cops knock on your door, then smile, nod and go about your business. Stack your wood higher and lengthen the rows. The "natural" fence will give you incentive to stay ahead on cord wood.

hardwood715 said:
Complainer Extrodinair! My neighbor has been in her house since it was built- circa 1959. I purchased my property from my sister-in-law. (formerly Mother and Father inlaws). I guess I inherited a long lasting fued left over from my inlaws. So, everything I do outside now is questioned, nagged about from the neighbor. I had a surveyor, assesment done when I was getting the mortgage, her garden was on my side, I nonchalantly said something to her like ain't that on our side? Damn-first mistake. Ongoing grief from then on..... almost forgot, the wood situation, she thinks my woodpile located near her property attracts undesirables, mice, ants etc etc I been using it to seperate the property. the tarps look terrible she says, on and on....
You could keep that wood pile going right along the property line and through her garden :coolsmile:
Or you could set out traps and catch ole Mr rabbit, show her what her garden is attracting then ask her if she would like to join for some rabbit stew ;-P
..............Nah nevermind .......things could get worse.

babalu87 said:
Tell the old groan to shove it up her ass

Complain to her whenever she tends the garden in that awefull housecoat of hers.

You'r killing me.

Ya know, the fact is that some old woodpiles CAN harbor wildlife - My dog used to go nuts near the woodpile trying to get at the chipmunks and other stuff in there. You have to look carefully and separate fact from fiction. If you were a reasonable person and if you did not burn wood, could it be an issue to have that woodpile against your property? If so, move it. If a reasonable person would not mind, then perhaps she is just looking for trouble.

The only fence in our entire neighborhood is a little one (not surrounding my property) for my tiny dog. But I do agree that sometimes fences make for good relations....that is, if one or both people really want it.

You're making the first error in politics when you do not wish a situation to escalate... you are engaging the opposition. Step 1 - Disengage. Do not talk to her. Take the advice above and be friendly about it (or neutral about it, as I would suggest), however simply do not engage the woman in a conversation, about anything. Step 2 - consider fencing, or if not, green fencing, which is to say, plant a hedge. Step 3 - do whatever you want to do on your own property, taking specific care not to be spiteful or deliberately offensive. Just conduct yourself as you normally would. Step 4 - Wait for her to die. :coolgrin:

-- Mike

I put up a vinyl fence around my entire back yard. The neighbors complained about the property line, so I showed them the survey and all the pins in the ground. They didn't care they thought they owned part of my yard, I proved them wrong. One winter I noticed they were blowing snow against my fence and it started to lean. I had a quick conversation with the guy and I said that every panel that breaks would be replaced with chainlink possibly with a bit of barbed wire on top. I guess he realized that the white vinyl fence didn't look so bad after all, since he has not done it since. :vampire:
Some people when it comes to property lines and what is on there can make life difficult for others. If you were to put a fence on your line she will only complain about that too.

Dylan said:
wahoowad said:
fill her car full of bees

...or Crazy Glue the doors shut.

Pffffffft.... come on, sooo obvious. Bees... glue... come on people... bees and glue don't magically appear, neighbors put them there.

Have a little tact ... and some style... use Birdseed! Yes, a little 3AM walk out front with a pocket full of seed tossed on the offending (and now dew-laden) vehicle will produce a swarm of hungry birds that will show up at the crack of dawn, and commence eating, and pooping, all over the place! ;-P Plus, by the time grandma wakes up and walks outside, all the birdseed will be gone... and tomorrow, the birds will show up again, looking for more. Did this once as a kid to another kid's boat in a marina we were at... wonderful results.

-- Mike

I'm with Marty. One of the reasons we're out of the city and in a rural neighborhood is for the sense of community. We watch out for each other and our kids. I've found that it doesn't pay to make enemies of one's neighbors. You never know when you might need a helping hand. If the roof was on fire, I'd want my neighbor to call 911 and get out the garden hose instead of gloating. When we had a big earthquake, we all went around and checked on the elderly and the neighbors. I like that I can trust my neighbors to be there in a pinch. And yes, I have a busy-body on one side that wants everyone to clean up their property. But she is pretty harmless and best taken with a sense of humor. Mostly she's just lonely I think.

According to the other thread title, woodpile is a bit shabby. Can it be located elsewhere with a proper shed covering? Before writing the neighbor off, walk a mile or two in her shoes. Looks like there are children next door too or is the playset for the grandchildren? Maybe that is what is causing her concern? Is there asthma in their family? Have you talked with her SO about her concerns?

Mike Wilson said:
Dylan said:
wahoowad said:
fill her car full of bees

...or Crazy Glue the doors shut.

Pffffffft.... come on, sooo obvious. Bees... glue... come on people... bees and glue don't magically appear, neighbors put them there.

Have a little tact ... and some style... use Birdseed! Yes, a little 3AM walk out front with a pocket full of seed tossed on the offending (and now dew-laden) vehicle will produce a swarm of hungry birds that will show up at the crack of dawn, and commence eating, and pooping, all over the place! ;-P Plus, by the time grandma wakes up and walks outside, all the birdseed will be gone... and tomorrow, the birds will show up again, looking for more. Did this once as a kid to another kid's boat in a marina we were at... wonderful results.

-- Mike

Wasn't there an annoying wood pecker floating around this forum recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.